I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Ramifications from Saying "No"

I've said "No," and now I'm out of the loop...

These words actually escaped my mouth this morning as I sat with my Tweetdeck open.

I noticed that I had missed the TeachBetter Conference information - to perhaps present, and now to win a free registration.

I noticed tweets about the DBC conference in June that I've said "No" to, due to the cost of the flight, hotel, and yes - even registration that the authors don't get compensated for.

I noticed the myriad educators tweeting about their books, and I wondered if I should be doing more advertising.

I noticed I had still not cleared my column for direct messages, and it was to remind me to not feel bad for saying "No," as the last two things I said "No" to are helping me do better at my profession - TEACHING. Two things I've turned down this month are giving a one-hour virtual presentation about Genius Hour and hosting a chat after 8pm about Word Shift. This morning, I realized that saying "No" has kept me out of the loop. It was that realization that made me feel the need to write about it.

Yes, I'm out of the loop. And yes, I'm doing fine.

I could advertise Shift This and Word Shift more, for sure (like even right now when I hyperlink the titles). Then I go back to my reasons for writing them. I felt the need to write them and share them. I didn't feel the need to supplement my income (really - it's funny what money people think educator books bring in). I didn't feel the need to advertise it with contests, weekly mailers, or fun fancy GIFs. I tried it for a bit - it's not my style.

I could say "Yes" to presenting around the nation. Again, that's really not me. I love when I have a receptive group, for sure, yet the travel is nerve-wracking to me, and taking off a day from my job I love is a lot of stress I don't need to put myself through. I've written before about teachers as presenters, and I still feel the same.

Being out of the loop online - and on social media - I believe that is actually OKAY. I may even go so far as to believe that it's HEALTHY. One response I received after declining something was, "I love that you're being intentional and purposeful in your self-care." Yes. That's what I'm doing.

I am doing what I love, and I'm trying to do it well. With my husband, I talk about retiring - SOME day. Until then, I'm making the most of my teaching. I'm getting outside with my students, I'm laughing at my mistakes in front of them, and we're enjoying even more learning this year. I'm calmer with my students and my coworkers, and I think it's because I don't have so much on my plate. I think it's because I'm learning better how to make family and time for ME a priority.

Writing this reminds me of that FOMO saying - the "Fear of Missing Out." I've recently added "JOMO" to my vocabulary - the "Joy of Missing Out." It helps me focus on real-world relationships, or being truly present in as much of my day as I can. Check out this link and see how you can turn your FOMO into JOMO.

Twitter, and social media overall, has been helpful for me to becoming the educator I am today. I have jumped on many ideas, made them work for me when I could, and done further research when the bug to do so hit. I've read many excellent books, gotten inspired by a lot of excellent student work, and been supported by educators from various backgrounds on a regular basis.

Being connected on Twitter often makes me feel like I want to do everything everyone else is doing. I don't want it to be that way. I know I can't do everything. I've tried that. When I try to do everything, everything falls apart (or is simply not done well), and it's ugly. I want to do what I AM doing, and I want to do it WELL. For that, I need to step back from the excitement on social media and enjoy what I am already doing.

What am I doing today for myself? 1) Writing this - it helps me to get my thoughts down and try to organize them. I make more sense of them that way.  2) I've already swept out the shed and picked up sticks for a fire tonight while my love waxed my car (I know - I'm spoiled).  3) Reading some young adult literature and some nonfiction to feed my brain. 4) Looking through student photos on my school-issued iPad so I can print some out at Walgreen's (at 34 cents each) for parent conferences coming up soon. I enjoy all of these tasks. What are YOU doing today that you enjoy doing and helps you jump on the JOMO train? I'm not asking for responses in the comments this time - I'm encouraging you to stop reading this and get out and DO what brings you joy.
Fall has arrived at the Kirr household... Heading back outside now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!