I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything

My first self-help / how-to book of 2022 was SPOT ON.

Parts of it reminded me of Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown.

Parts of it reminded me of what I learned from James Clear (during the #DitchSummit with Matt Miller), author of Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones.

And it was the introduction that got me started on making tiny changes that have ALREADY had an impact. I started it on January 1st, and I finished it on the 16th. Considering my #OneWord for the year - PRESENT - I've tweaked some of my tiny habits to work really well for me - and that's the entire point. The habits you start - that are linked to your aspirations / big goals - are tiny. Very easy to implement. And something you WANT to do.

Some quotes that I KNOW are true, after only three weeks into the year:

The easier a behavior is to do, the more likely the behavior will become a habit. This applies to habits we consider “good” and “bad.” pg 26

…treat your life as your own personal “change lab” - a place to experiment with the person you want to be. pg 37
When we match ourselves with behaviors that we already want to do, … there is no need to fuss with motivational tricks. pg 61
Taking the first step, no matter how small, can generate a sense of momentum that our brains love. Completing tasks gives us a boost of confidence, and this increases our motivation. pg 93
Using someone’s behavior as a prompt for a healthy response as opposed to a self-defeating one is a great idea that can work for all sorts of situations where we feel powerless. pg 122
…habits can form very quickly, often in just a few days, as long as people have a strong positive emotion connected to the behavior. pg 137 …when something makes you feel successful, you want more. You engage. You make it part of your life. pg 141
…what if we could easily make it more likely that we’d do the behavior again and again? What if we could quietly build on the moments when we’re being our best selves until we are our best selves? pg 153 …you are getting better and better at being nice to yourself. You start looking for opportunities to celebrate yourself instead of berating yourself. pg 155
The type of person you are now can become whatever type of person you want to be. pg 157 

Here's the book:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!