I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, February 12, 2024

Super Bowl Sunday

This Super Bowl Sunday, I just want to document this.

I've saved this tweet for three years now.

In 2016, he played for the San Francisco 49ers. 
He knelt during during the national anthem at the start of games in protest of police brutality and racial inequality in the United States.
I have a hard time believing that he never was allowed back into the NFL. 

Today, we have the 49ers playing - against the Chiefs. There is (another) movement to change the Chiefs' name - and get rid of that "chop."

In 2024, we have NFL players can choose up to seven slogans such as "Choose Love" or "End Racism" for the back of their helmets.
On the field end zones, I've seen "It Takes All of Us" and "End Racism" stenciled in paint.
Mike Tomlin, head coach of the Pittsburg Steelers wears a tee shirt with "Justice Opportunity Freedom Equality."

Yet one man lost his career because he knelt during a song.
And, as a nation, we're still struggling every day with hate.

I choose to vote for those who include everyone.
I choose to share all different perspectives / authors with my 7th graders.
I choose to support those conversations that help me and others learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!