I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Feed One

Looking back through my posts on the Building Learning Communities conference, I notice a theme. It seems as if every year I've gone (2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, and now 2018), educators and administrators and keynoters are talking about CHANGE. Here are all my reflections on the BLC conference, if you want to take a gander.

Last year's last day keynote speaker, Dr. Robert Evans, told us that humans resist change, especially if this change was not their idea.  He also said resistance to change is normal and necessary. I read his book, The Human Side of School Change, and wrote three more posts reflecting on what he said. Myriad factors come into play when people have to deal with change, and his book helped me become a better listener to those who resist changes in education.

This year, my own keynote message was to stop asking why others won't change, and empower yourself. Take the risks, live up to the title of "educator," and do what you believe is right and good for students. Share these ideas with others, and explain your reasons WHY. Keep sharing - through social media, blogging, websites, presentations... keep the conversations going.


When Ted Dintersmith took the same stage the next day, he said that it's easier to start a new school than to change one that's already established. He added that we should embrace the pockets of change and grow by one teacher at a time. Leave other teachers alone - administration can try to make them change, but they'll just close their doors and keep doing what they've always done. Wasted effort on our part. Let's put the effort into celebrating those who are doing what is better for kids. Oh, and try not to say "best practice," because what is "best" today won't necessarily be "best" tomorrow. We can practice "better practices" with students. 😉

I go over and over with my husband Bob about what each session is about, and the things I've learned and want to take home and hold dear to my heart and head.

During our discussion about all this, he asked, "Is this whole thing pointless?"

"This whole thing" - referring to trying to get other teachers to reflect on their teaching and try something new, such as letting the students own more of the learning.

No. It's not pointless.

Trying to get other teachers to reflect on what they're doing, join in with what you're trying, and help bring students more to the center of all we do... is challenging for sure. But if you share ideas with just one... and just one teacher latches on and tries it and it changes his or her teaching, consider all the students you've affected. Mother Teresa said, "If you can't feed a hundred people, feed just one." I wouldn't say "just" one - because one can lead to another and another and the ideas can grow exponentially. (A few of the ideas I shared at BLC.)

I tweaked my keynote the evening prior, because I had to add this quote I'd heard from Darren Kuropatwa at his session - "The job of any leader is to make more leaders."

So take the lead. Share your ideas - through social media, blogging, websites, presentations... Share your reasons WHY. And feed ONE teacher. One at a time. Keep those conversations going!
Outside our house in the spring of 2017...


5 comments:

  1. I love these thoughts Joy! I continually have to tell myself this as I am branching out into the world of giving presentations. My first presentation I was let down by a comment I heard in the audience, yet upon reflecting, I realized I did have one teacher approach me afterwards and tell me how much she enjoyed my presentation. I definitely have to work on holding onto that postiive... that ONE!
    Thanks Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jen. I've read the feedback from many presentations - take the negatives as feedback - not as negatives. Each teacher is looking for one or two things from our presentations, and they might not find it - they're in the wrong place. We will reach who we can. Think of that one that said something positive, and think of all those that did NOT, but are thinking it, no less!! You go get 'em, leader girl!

      Delete

  2. I finally get the point of the picture. Our jobs as teachers is not to keep kids safe in the nest. We measure our success by how many kids take flight and leave the nest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhat of a tangent...

    When I was student teaching I walked into my mentors office and was frustrated that i wasn't being instantly successful with 150 kids :) I'll never forget what she said..."Each day only teach one kid." Changed my career.

    There are two quotes in this post https://goo.gl/lH7Fxs that you might be interested in. Same quote here https://goo.gl/SaH580 with another one at the bottom. Whoa...that last one is from 11 years ago. That's like 8,241 in blog years.

    And another thought. For almost every year, I was an island, no one was shifting with me. At some point MY thinking shifted. I had 130 kids in front of me each year. Teachers leave little pieces of themselves in each kid who use those pieces to build what they will become & what they believe is possible. If those kids just believed in themselves a little bit more and went on to change one person they would meet, and so on...maybe then I was making a difference. It would just be a difference that I would never see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, I'm so thankful you took the time to read AND comment! I am constantly learning more from you. I love the quote you shared from a student - “I think I can make a difference.” And I, too "hope that they don’t wait until the 'future' to start creating change." Thank you for sharing these posts - from those years I wasn't yet on Twitter - oh, how far behind am I?!

      I'm glad you shifted your thinking to focus on those 130 kids. They are my life right now. We've got to focus on them first - always with the hope of making some difference. Let's keep it up - and keep those valuable conversations going! I am so grateful.

      Delete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!