I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, June 10, 2019

2018-2019 Digital Scrapbook

JUNE
- The day after school gets out... I found myself at Edcampd13 in Bloomingdale, IL. Got to hang out with Kim Darche and a teacher from my own school - Sue Klarner!
- Remast conference - hosted a two-hour healthy grading workshop and then gave my very first keynote presentation! (No evidence that I was there except for this photo of all of us - LOVED working with pre-service and new teachers!) Gooooo Jackrabbits!
- ISTE - downtown Chicago. Mixed feelings about this one - the application process was INSANE, the cost was OVERPRICED for educators (even presenters), and getting there was a hassle. I can't imagine how those that came from out of town felt. With all that being said... I was able to meet (some old friends) these passionate educators (one of the best things about such a large conference):
 

 

 

 

 

 

JULY & AUGUST
- For some reason, there was one week in July when I was asked to do podcasts...
   I Wish I Knew EDU - Teachers on Fire - Shawesome Education
- BLC18 - Building Learning Communities - now THIS is a conference I LOVE. EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Olivia, Pana, Aaron, Alan, Caitlin...  just a few of the MANY MANY passionate educators who were there to support each other and our messages. So very grateful for this first larger audience Keynote opportunity, as well! Shift the Language!!
 
    
Thanks, Paul Bogush, for this photo of the Grand Ballroom at the Park Plaza!
- I "attended" three online summits! #StrobelSummit, #DitchSummit, and #HiveSummit

September
- I was able to be in on the ground floor when Teachers Connect hosted it's first "chat!"
- Hooray! I was accepted into our middle school committee that's discussing standards-based grading!
- EdCampML (middle level - their first!) was held at Concordia University just north of Milwaukee. Beautiful campus, and passionate teachers attending. I came home with a bottle of wine for my raffle prize... another first!

October
- EdCampWalkersPoint (their first!) was held at their newest middle school in Milwaukee, and had the BEST edcamp lunch EVER! Maybe half or more of the participants had never been to an edcamp before, so there were some quiet sessions at first, but each teacher seemed very passionate about what they do.
- Educators Grow Podcast with John Wawczak

November
- My district sent me to the Secondary Reading League's 42nd Day of Reading - with Cris Tovani!
- Teach Better Podcast with Rae Hughart and Jeff Gargas

January
- 10-Min Teacher podcast with Vicki Davis
- The cold did not stop us from heading to #EdCampMadWI. I brought homemade cards and blank cards and proposed a letter-writing session! I'm hoping to do this at every edcamp I go to from now on. It was very valuable for the six of us that were there. Afterwards, Bob tried his first Wisconsin cheese curds!
- P3 Podcast with Noa Daniels - I've GOT to try this with my students!

February
- I was able to visit Dunlap CUSD #323 (#323Learns) to be their keynote speaker and facilitate two sessions on healthy grading and one on personalized learning. Look who I was fortunate to see - and they sat in the front rows to support with smiles and nods! If I could've changed anything, it would be that I could learn from THEM in their sessions! Stefanie Pitzer, Stefanie Crawford, and Jodi Gordon, Don Sturm, and Mandy Ellis!
          
- I was able to "attend" ICE19 "after-hours" three days the last week in February! I was able to meet "old" friends once again, see a pal from Boston, and meet new people! 
Boston pal Matt Joseph BOWLING at the PearDeck party at the Punch Bowl, "Tech Rabbi" Michael Cohen and Shawn McCusker, & beautiful Mandy Froelicher!

April
- I was fortunate to head to Prospect High School (down the street from my own school) to meet with readers of Shift This and try to help answer questions. I shared stories of resistance that were not included in the book, and was able to provide some resources to help with their questions.
- EdCamp Chicago came back! This one was right near me at Lake Park High School on 4/13.

May
- Video conference with Meagan Parrish's peers regarding Shift This
- Video conference with Niki Monkul's peers regarding Shift This

June
- The end of my 24th year teaching... More summer fun this month that will be in next year's year-in-review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!