I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Duolingo Lessons Learned

I'm on a 170-day streak on my free version of Duolingo. And I'm excited about it.

Let me backtrack - I took four years of French (7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grade). Then it got difficult, and I wanted an easy life. So... I started Spanish in 11th, and continued it in 12th. My senior year I added a year of German. In between, I took a week of Russian offered through our library, and two American Sign Language classes in the summers offered through the community college. I went on to teach students who are Deaf or hard of hearing, so the sign language helped, obviously. The rest of the languages helped when reading or watching some movies, but that was about it.

During the 2017-2018 school year, I had a student who, when he started at our middle school, did not speak any English. We had another one this year. They both spoke Spanish at home. We've also had students who only speak Russian or Polish or any number of languages... and then they are immersed in our culture and become assimilated fairly quickly. I'm always amazed at all the English they know when they graduate 8th grade! I'm amazed that they become fluent in (at least) two languages so quickly.

This year, just before winter break (?), I thought it was time to brush up on my Spanish. Duolingo was the way I decided to refresh myself. I currently complete at least three lessons every morning, and I LOVE it. When I have extra time, I add another quick lesson. I wondered why there was such a draw for me to this app. I'm toying with the idea of buying a year's worth of the PRO version, as I have iTunes gift cards from my parents that I haven't used yet. It's pricy, but who knows? It may give me the help I need to feel comfortable speaking with someone (who is very patient!) in Spanish.

Here's what I've learned about why I'm so excited to use this app. Of course, reflecting on my own lessons learned brings up questions as to how I can provide this type of learning in my own class:
  • I don't receive a grade. I simply am told if I'm right or if I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, they provide the answer, and then they give me the same question again at the end of the lesson. Knowing I'll be asked again helps me focus on the feedback they provide. No grades - feedback only. THIS I know how to do (after four years of practice)!
  • I'm now listening without looking at the words. I'm trying to figure out what they're saying before I look at the words. I feel I need this challenge, and I can choose to challenge myself one day and take it "easy" the next. How can I include different modalities for my students to learn?
  • Now that I know how the words are spelled, I can focus on the accent marks. I didn't care about them before, because I'd still get the answer "right" even though I didn't include the accent marks. I feel like I can handle them now, and feel proud when it doesn't give me any suggestions about them. How much does me "picking on" students' grammar in their writing affect their desire to write more?
  • When I'm doing well, it becomes addicting. How many lessons can I get in this morning? Can I do just one more before I leave the house for school? Can I do another easier one before we head out for the day? When I'm doing well, I run the batteries down on my phone. How can I encourage my students to try more lessons on their own?
  • When I'm busy in the mornings, I can choose easier lessons. When I have time during my day, I go back to longer lessons and feel proud when I move up a level on those. When do I let my students choose an easier vs. a more difficult lesson?
  • Since I begin my day with it, I find I practice it for the next half hour in my head, often unknowingly. My husband will ask me a question, and I'll try to answer in Spanish. I find myself thinking in Spanish when the topic is familiar. How can I get my students thinking about reading and writing throughout the rest of their day?
  • When I see my other team ELA teacher (who used to teach Spanish!), I know I can practice with her. I can also practice with my students. How can I provide more time for my students to "practice" reading and writing with master readers and writers?
Reflecting on my use of Duolingo reminds me of a quote I have kept from George Couros - Are we simply aiming to engage students, or genuinely empower them? 

I feel empowered after more lessons on this app.
I want to learn. 
I want to be able to communicate with new students who feel isolated.
This type of learning is relevant to me, because I'll be able to USE it and feel good about myself.
What are more ways I can do this for the students in my own care?

2 comments:

  1. I love Duolingo! I, too, use it for personal learning, and incorporated it into my Spanish class as a way for students to grow on their own. I really appreciate you sharing your insights as you "played". They are my perfect reminders for next year! Suerte, y SÍ SE PUEDE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on Duo for 33 days, and I've been trying to think of ways to make my class more like Duo, as well. Keep it up 👍

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!