I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Choosing the "Right" Words...

...was so difficult for this writing-on-all-the-Ticonderoga-pencils gig to prepare for school to begin!

After I started writing one set (I eventually made three sets of 30), I thought more about the words I chose, and how one slight shift can make a huge difference.

For instance, if I wrote "be kind," it sounded like a demand, or at least a request. By changing it to "thank you for being kind," I'm making an assumption (usually a no-no) that they already ARE kind, and I'm still encouraging kindness. I modified it even more - "thank you for choosing to be kind," as then students can see it as a choice they have. They often think they have no choices. This is one they can make on their own, every chance they get.

I found many of my words meant the same idea, and were said in many different ways.
"You matter" is now written as "you are important," "your perspective is worth sharing," "we need your ideas," etc. Words strike people differently, and I didn't want to leave any messages unclear.

Here is one set:

The words I used this time around:
     Smiles & laughter:
     People smile when they see your smile!
     Your smile lights up our days!
     Smiling makes you happier.
     Your laugh is infectious.
     Keep smiling!
     Life is good.
     Regarding tough times:
     Dream big!
     You can do this!
     You've got this!
     You will persevere.
     Keep on keepin' on...
     Embrace the struggle. (Added thanks to @innovatenlearn.)
     Reach out if you need anything.
     Appreciation:
     Thank you for being caring.
     Thank you for your positive attitude.
     Thank you for being you.
     Thank you for being a friend to others.
     Thank you for choosing to be kind.
     What are you grateful for? (The grammarian in me wants to say "For what are you grateful," and then I think... these are for 7th graders. Would they relate?)
     Mattering:
     You matter.
     You are important.
     You inspire others.
     You are loved.
     You have a contribution to  make in this world.
     Your perspective is worth sharing.
     We need your voice to be used for good.
     We need your ideas.
     This world needs you.
     We're happy you're here.
     Our lives are better with YOU in it.
     Be the change you wish to see. (Thanks to @blocht574.)

Then... My husband came in from the garage to show me his progress on his newest whirligig that he's making for a friend of ours. I saw that Ticonderoga tucked behind his ear - it looked naked! I asked him if I could write on it. I wrote, "Your creativity makes others smile." I know I'll be doing this once I run out of these pencils... For each student that needs one, I'll look at them and find a personal message meant just for them, and then find that ultra fine point Sharpie!

I'm thinking of pre-sharpening them when I get to my good pencil sharpener at school... Too much??

Please comment below any messages that you might share with your own students!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet gesture!Love the tone you're setting

    (and, no, I don't think pre-sharpening is too much, if you've got the time for it. I think it's smart noise management)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!