I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Day 25 - Letters

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

This was our assignment for my ELA class today:

Not all of my students are currently doing ELA work. I have nine students who haven't done ANY yet (for a week now). There are some students who are doing ELA work everyday, and even asking for more. Anyway...

Here are some (shortened) responses I wanted to remember and share with you:

Dear School,
I actually miss you for once. I didn't think I would ever say that...

Dear best friend,
...I miss all the trips to the library, our bike rides, our "late overs" and sleepovers. I miss riding through Burger King on bikes or worrying that our bikes will be stolen if we leave and on't like them up (you left most of the worrying to me). I miss daydreaming about our futures and annoying everyone in math class. I miss being broke because I spent all of our money on the vending machine...     (*Note: Her letter was two pages long.)

Dear Yaya,
I have missed seeing you so much! I know that I have seen you through the window, but it is really just not the same...

Dear classmates,
How is everybody doing during quarantine? I have a good time playing video games and getting better at basketball outside. What do you guys think about e-learning, is it better than regular school? I think it is but the only downside is that I don't get to see my friends ever...

Dear [friend],
I can't think of anything, so I'll tell you what we should do after this is all over. We should go fishing at Kimball Park.   (*Note: His friend also wrote to HIM.)

Dear Mom,
Thank you for always looking out for me, loving me, caring for me, and giving me yummy food. :)...

Dear wonderful parents,
...I cant really tell you anything new because I live with you guys so I'm just gonna say that it is very hard to stay in this house for 3 weeks or even longer I don't know...

Dear FigmentForms,
You are my favorite artist, and I'm so sorry that you have coronavirus now. You helped a lot of people when you still worked at that hospital. I am really sad that they didn't give you proper PPE...

Dear Governor,
Please let us out of quarantine. It is really boring and you can not see your friends in real life...maybe we can all wear masks and maybe gloves when we go outside?

And then there was the one that made me bawl and (after responding) shut off the laptop for an hour or so... 

Dear Mrs. Kirr,
I miss you so much! This coronavirus is terrible, and I hate quarantine so much. I actually want to be back at school now! I am enjoying some time off though. I know we can communicate online, but I think that in real life it was so much better. I hope this is all over soon, and that I can see you! How are you doing?

1 comment:

  1. Joy, this is so awesome. The examples are all tearjerkers. So beautiful. Thanks for continuing to challenge us with innovative ways to do this emergency learning. God bless you! (P.S. I sent you a message on Twitter seeking permission to use a couple of your things in a talk. Let me know, please. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!