I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Slice of Life #1 - The first 20 min of my work day.

I went back to school - with students - today. We had two blissful weeks off (well, some of us did), and we had a professional development day yesterday which wasn't painful.

I got back in the groove quickly this morning once I went through that door to the classroom. I've often wanted to document all the things we do in the morning, and since I've decided to try the Slice of Life Challenge this year (since I'm not spending time on Twitter - AND - I want to write again, I'll try this small slice of my life... just in list form (because I'm tired from shoveling - I'll sleep well).

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for hosting this #SOL24...


Put my bag on a chair.
Take off my boots & switch them for my gym shoes.
Put my coat in the closet, and my boots underneath.
Take my lunch out of the bag, and take my sunflower seeds out of my lunch (to eat during team time).
Take my kid's book out of the bag and put it on my shelf that says, "Mrs. Kirr is reading..."
Remind myself to put on my to do list: "Bring book home." (I want to read it tonight.)
Turn on my computer and log in.
Log into Google.
See that I have 12 unread messages, and deliberately do what I need to do first instead.
Move plans from the "working plans" file over to "Today's Plans" for the kids and I to access today.
Copy the same slides and rename those "084 January 9, 2024 (Tuesday)" and save under the folder "All Plans" for the kids and parents to access.
Create a folder called, "December," and add all of December's plans to it. (Soon that folder will go into the "Q2" folder.)
Turn on the class computer and open up "Today's Plans," "Homeroom Announcements," "Spotify" (log in through Google, get the two-factor authentication, it says I don't have an account, try to log in again on my school account with an older password, try a different password, get the playlist ready for independent work time), the Headspace App (log in with my school account, find the one-minute cat breathing video and press "play" - because for some reason you have to press "play" TWICE to get it to go).
Write today's date and agenda (what are we doing again? Go back to look) on the board.
Come up with a warm-up activity for students.
Change what book I'm reading on the sign outside the door.
Remember and add "Bring book home" to my to do list.
NOW I can open and answer (or delete!) emails... 
Go back to my to do list to see what I forgot, then do those things...

And that's all in about 20 minutes - before students arrive.

If someone comes up to talk to me about something, the list doesn't get done.

Maybe for my next slice, I'll try another 20 minutes of my day.

-----

I had a solid day to day, no less. Plans went ... as expected ... because I was able to let some things go. I was calm, I was friendly, I got to chat with kids one-on-one, and I enjoyed the pace I'd set. It was a good 84th day of my school year.

1 comment:

  1. I love how every early morning moment was filled in preparing for the day. It takes so much, as a Teacher, even before those students walk through that door! And the pace sounds just right. Appreciation for a new beginning, giving the hint that you were "tired from shoveling". Thank you for the reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!