I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, January 29, 2024

Why would I want more stress?

I moved my apps around on my phone on January 1, trying to not play so many pointless games. I'll still do the Wordle and Connections game with my husband every night, and I still do three small exercises on my Elevate app, but the Blockudoku, Fishdom and Puzzledom are largely based on luck of what pieces come up next. I was still playing Nonogram and Sudoku for a bit, but even those became easy for me. So I relocated them all together in one bundle of apps and labeled it "WRITE INSTEAD." And here I am!

Sadly, I'm still looking for a better game. One that helps me learn or helps me become more intelligent somehow. I'm still on TikTok about once a day, and here was an ad for a game that popped up on my feed:

The two pics are the same game. (The videos came one after the other.) As I'm preparing to share "Shifting Away from Stress" at IDEACon in February, I wonder... isn't this game causing more stress? Shouldn't we be "playing" games instead of stressing ourselves out? Why would you want to play something that gives you anxiety? What a terrible advertisement.

So... the apps I used the most this month on my phone are Duolingo, Babbel, Calm, and, of course, TikTok - but I have a time limit on that one. 😉 I have my family and friends, my walks, my books, my journals, and my blog for when I know I need to be off my phone. Here's to more of this in 2024!

6 comments:

  1. I love how your reflection on apps you use got is getting you to consider just how to spend your time. I laughed out loud when I read So I relocated them all together in one bundle of apps and labeled it "WRITE INSTEAD." I also like solving Wordle and Connections and you now have me thinking about what I choose to do with my time. Because it is a choice! I'm glad we both chose to write today and post right next to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so inspired by labeling the folder WRITE INSTEAD. This makes me want to go through my house and label things like the tv remote, the sewing machine, the yarn basket, and all of those things that pull me in other directions before I write. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, hooray for you! I'm loving the title of that folder, like Sally and Kim said. "Write Instead" for sure! Will there be any way to watch your "Shifting Away from Stress" session at IDEACon? (What a great name!) I guess I probably won't be able to since I'm not registered, but I will look forward to reading more about it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to share the slides and how the presentation goes after I've gone, Denise!

      Delete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!