I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Day 83 - Making

Thursday, June 4 2020

Making sense of what my parents think and why...
Making a plan for what I'll share on Instagram with former students...
Making pizza - why haven't Hubby and I done this before?
 

Today I brought up the topic of race once again with my mom. It's always a difficult conversation, yet this time we made rules - no yelling. Use specific people, not "Blacks" and "democrats." Look at the issue, and do not deflect from it. Okay, okay, those were MY rules. We did okay for a bit. I still don't understand why she stands with the man I despise. So... I made pizza. And I really enjoyed it. I don't think I'll ever change her perspective, as I really don't know the roots of it. Maybe I'll keep trying, and maybe I'll focus on strong messages for my former students instead.

Another photo from the weekly challenge... the cake & muffins Annalise made:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!