I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Day 55 - Wonderings...

Thursday, May 7, 2020

The more I know, the more I know I don't know... again and again.

My ramblings for today...
  • A teacher at team wondered when we'd get to order supplies for next year. Will we be ordering supplies? Will we be at school or at home? What about student supplies? I read this article about Montreal maybe reopening schools yesterday and wonder what we'll be doing... There are so many questions like this, and no one knows the answers... yet.
  • Our inline hockey rink was locked the last two weeks or so... kids and adults have been climbing the fence to play anyway. Not a ton of people, not a "large group," and I think they may even be families. They's split the rink so a kid could practice shooting at one end, and another could practice at the other end. Today we saw the goal locked to the fence. (Picture below.) I guess they're not practicing anymore.
  • Spring is in FULL bloom. So many pretty trees and shrubs. Our flowering almond shrubs (we have one in front and one in back) are the best they've ever looked - like pink cotton balls all down each stem. Amazing. I'm going to miss this next spring if we're in a school building all day.
  • Unemployment is still going up.
  • I'm still not reading like I used to.
  • When WILL we get to hug those close to us? Who's to say? How jerky am I if I'm not hugging my mom but my sister, her husband and her kids are??
  • Temporary fencing will be erected this weekend so fewer people go to Busse Woods. There are already many parking restrictions on the nearby streets. The city will start towing cars now. There's talk of a full closure of the forest preserve if people get too close to each other. (We walk there all the time from our house. Bob joked about charging people to park in our driveway.)
  • My students were more engaged this Wednesday! They're sharing their genius hour plans!
  • I was able to see - and cheer on - many eighth graders today!
  • Nobody knows what's right. Nobody knows what's going to happen in our future. It's a crazy, beautiful weather day. My hair (and Bob's) is too long. Oh, well.
Flowering Almond

On our walk - by the creek
One locked up goal...
Still no hugs for Mom... Newspaper from our walk.
We lined the parking lot to cheer on graduates picking up their gowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!