I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Day 69 - High School Graduation & more ramblings

Ramblings for Thursday, May 21, 2020

They say this will be the new trend... While I'm aggravated about my "long" hair, all my mom sees is my grays (not roots - I've only dyed my hair blue - June of 2017). I tell her they make me look distinguished.

Some camps will be opening this summer...
Click HERE for an article that explains more about how they may open...
It was the students' idea to host their graduation at a drive-in...
See the full story HERE.
The town where I teach is considering blocking two streets for outdoor dining only for the summer...

We can support local food banks by ordering Take-Out on Tuesdays...

High School Graduation parade notes:
  • Cheers, tears, masks, dogs, all kinds of cars and decorations...
  • One limo
  • One student driving himself in an older small car
  • One student driven in the front seat of a taxi
  • Families packed into cars
  • Some graduates had multiple cars with them - before and after their vehicle
  • Drivers with masks on
  • A Corona hat
  • Bullhorns, cowbells, one driver had what looked like an alphorn
  • Latex balloons, mylar balloons, pom poms
  • Kids leaning out of windows, kids standing out of sunroofs, kids sitting in the bed of a pick up truck - on a chair or without
  • Some looked totally bored (to be fair, I was near the end and didn't know half the graduates)
  • Such a variety of wealth or lack thereof

High School Graduation video notes (sadly, I actually watched two):

  • There were mistakes in pronunciation (like always) and some name mix ups, too.
  • To include EVERY year - a mix of songs and pics from students' first day of school to their Senior photo.
  • To include EVERY year - a photo with their name as they are called to shake hands/get their diploma.
  • The "thank yous" to staff were very sweet. I think that could be separate from the actual graduation. It was also weird to see into students' homes.
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE the music - choral, solo, duets, bands... IDK how they make those videos, but they ROCK!

Our local tennis courts are re-opening...

The truck got smacked with a piece of rerod... It was the local park district mowing the grass - it shot out at the street. Bob and I are both grateful I wasn't there to freak out and be scared to get in the truck ever again. He said it sounded like someone reared back and smashed a hammer at the door.
Passenger side door.

I can put my thumb IN this hole the rebar made.
Claims man chatting with Bob. Masks. All the time. Everywhere.
They are selling "fashion masks" now at Meijer. Of course I bought two. Guess which one's mine?

Through all of this, I'm noticing my privilege WAY more than ever... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!