I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Reflections

Tonight I checked in on students' blogs, and was disappointed. TWENTY FOUR of my 57 students have not blogged in three weeks. That is too many. Our principal, and the district administration, has been asking the question, "Who owns the learning?" Well, these students are not reading independently. No one is owning the learning...! Ugh. I know, I know, I'm a dreamer. I think that I can get MOST kids to enjoy reading, but 24/57? That's 42% not reading! I ask them to read 20 min, a night - of anything - and they STILL aren't reading? Or is it that they're just blogging about it? I hope that's the case. I will check with them tomorrow when we have our one-on-one conferences. If we need time in class to blog, I'll give it. But if they're not reading, I've got to get them motivated. Maybe I'll pull out those beginning-of-the-year interest surveys... I am very fortunate I'll have two other teachers passionate about this tomorrow in my classes! Any ideas out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!