I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Quick Tip #3 - Writing Motivation

Using what I've learned from Choice Words by Peter Johnston, I've changed how I craft my comments to students on their writing...

2 comments:

  1. Joy,

    First, I love the idea of these quick tip videos. I occasionally hit a blogging drought because I feel like I don't have the time or mental energy to write a substantive post. (Sound familiar?) Of course my mistake is thinking long=substance, which these quick posts prove is not the case.

    Thank you for the language tip. I, too, have been trying to eliminate "but" from my feedback to students, BUT it isn't easy. Your choice "consider" is brilliant because it not only replaces the b-word, but also invites students to be thoughtful and reflective with the purpose of improving their skills. Again, I say, "Brilliant!" and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW WOW WOW...and ditto to Scott's comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!