I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Great Posts - BEGGING to Be Shared

I share a TON - on Twitter.
I share a TON - at EdCamps.
I share a TON - at my own school.

Whether it's because I don't want to be looked upon as the teacher who thinks she's got it all figured out (my readers know I know I don't!!), or the one who is "too radical" and "lets her kids do whatever in that classroom," I don't share (enough) at school. Sure, I share a website every now and then, but I sit on my hands (translation = "shut my mouth") when I think other teachers could benefit from philosophical blog posts or research that goes against what they're doing in the classroom. After all, who am I to tell them I disagree with what they're doing? I will continue to ask questions, but I just can't stir the pot in this fashion on a consistent basis. My own students get most of my energy as I try to stay immersed in our learning and culture when I'm with them, and by the time I try to talk with adults about some of these ideas, my energy is often quite depleted.

Knowing that I don't know who reads these posts, I'll post this one, hoping that some place, some day, some teacher from my own school will read one of these posts, share it with another, and discuss the ideas. Have that conversation that we don't normally have. Be transparent. I am proud of my actions on Twitter, but I just can't often bring up these conversations at my own school. I have, however,  stepped WAY out of my comfort zone by hosting a three-session book study for Shift This this March in my own district - wish me luck!!

Changing the Classroom Atmosphere
A Veteran Teacher Turned Coach Shadows 2 Students for 2 Days: A Sobering Lesson Learned
10 Things Students Experience Every Day at School that We Educators Tend to Forget About
17 Rules and Policies that Inadvertently Disrespect Students
Hugging a Porcupine

Homework / Late Work
A Late Work Policy That Supports Learning
It's Time to Stop Averaging Grades

Rules
Be Brave: The Only rule in my kindergarten class

Awards / Rewards / Extra Credit
The Wejr Family Awards
Why I Don't Give Extra Credit (or Gold Stars or Smiley Faces)

Parent Relationships
The Parent-Teacher Conference is Dead...

Thoughts from Alfie Kohn - Separate, because they're that good...
Beyond Discipline
Rethinking Homework
What Do Kids Really Learn from Failure?
What to Look for in a Classroom
Motivation (Podcast)

Sharing
Here is Dean Shareski's K12 Online video... pushing me to share these blog posts with you:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!