I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Grading Thoughts Update Half-Way Through Summer

Summer is half-way gone already?

My brain rested yesterday - pretty completely. I went into reading mode again - a sports book, no less - and I'm LIKING it!

I think since my brain rested, I had a sudden burst of inspiration for my issues with not grading. I created a T-chart of all the things that are different - from the way I used to grade - when I do not put points/marks on grades.


This led to me looking at last year's parent letter - and revamping it. It now has an invite to meet one-on-one and a teeny opt-out option included - along with the T-chart above. My hope is to alleviate parent anger the first time they see a grade at the end of a quarter. I hope, if they're concerned, they choose to make an appointment with me to chat further, or simply opt out.

I'm back on the tracks, peeps.
I'm back in the groove.
I'm back to remembering just WHY I wanted to go sans marks/points through the quarter. What really pushed me back is the video I created for parents. It really says it all. It's based on research and years of teaching. It just makes sense.

It's housed on our classroom website HERE.

So. That's where my brain is today, in the midst of summer. A month after I shared my frustrations the day after school let out this year. (I LOVED the conversations in the comments!)

Check out the NEW (so far) letter for 2018 - I'd love feedback once again - let's keep the conversation going!

My "gradeless" resources so far: "FaR" tabs of our classroom Weebly
                                    Feedback Instead of Grades LiveBinder for parents to inspect
                                    My own reflections on this journey

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Joy. Thank you for sharing this. I am glad your brain rested and you found some moments of clarity. My rest and clarity remain a bit elusive this summer, but your post reminded me, it's time to wake up, even if I haven't rested. I Like the "universally personalized" t-chart. Love that it represents your journey but touches on concerns and feelings that we can all relate to. I also love the video. It's affirming to find familiarity out there, especially from someone I admire and respect as much as you. Wishing you the best rest of the summer. Yes, let's keep the conversation going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your letter to parents, Joy. I wondered last year about giving students an option to opt out, and frankly ditched the idea because I thought it might be too time consuming for me. What I did do was tell the students that if they were ever anxious/upset/worried enough to not be getting grades that it was causing them undue stress, I would happily agree to meet with them and discuss numbers. Only one student ever took me up on it.

    I'm glad you're back, but also love that you struggle. Sharing our doubts is so very important; nobody wants to feel that they are alone. Thank you for your fearless sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy, ditto what Monte said. We are on mid-winter break for a couple of weeks, so happy you tagged me when I have a little time to track back over your blog - who knew there were so many edu-podcasts! I really like the video, happy to hear you have managed to rest up and revitalise. Your posts reminded me how lucky I am to have supportive admin, parents/guardians and students over the past couple of years of my journey to "do better". Communication and accountability have been areas I've tackled this past semester because we don't use a gradebook. Seesaw has made a positive difference, letting interested or concerned parents track real progress, revisions, feedback etc. It's great that you are flexible enough to differentiate your grading policy for those who want it, I hope none take up the offer. It would be a missed opportunity to engage in the unique and potentially powerful experience you offer your students. Enjoy the rest of your break, I hope it doesn't pass by too quickly. Regards, your somewhat chilly Southern hemisphere admirers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!