I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, September 8, 2019

Minimum Effective Dose in Action

I make lists.

I used to make LOTS of them, and then lose some in the process. I now use an online list called Toodledo. I can't get it to work on my phone, but it's handy for my laptop. I'm not using all the features I could, and I don't need them. I simply need to be able to put things on my list for a specific date, and I can then prioritize the items into "top," "high," "medium," "low," or even "negative."

Here's my list for the rest of today (I've already been able to check many items off):



Notice I'm writing before I "start collecting photos for Parent Night" ...  yet the iPad is right next to me. ;)  I can also take notes inside these notes. The blue text boxes to the right show that I have notes on each of those. I put items down as "negative" if I want to do them (or be reminded of them) before I leave for school the next day. Tomorrow morning, for example, I'll move the Staff Meeting to tomorrow's date, and mark it "medium," so I remember to go to it before I leave school. The "low" items will be done after school at home during the school week.

I brought up my Toodledo today to prove that I am an over-planner. I have things on this list for two years from now. I like things to be perfect. As I get older, I realize I can't have everything perfect. During the last two years, I've heard the term "minimum effective dose" (MED) at least five times. It's finally starting to sink in, so it's time for me to share it with you, in case you've never heard of it.

I believe the first time I heard of it was when educator/consultant Matt Miller mentioned it. He, at that point, referred to the book called The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss. This photo describing the MED is directly from this blog post excerpt from the book back in 2010:


Every time I hear about it (most often from Matt Miller), I think of time and energy. How much more time and energy will I have if I can actually take advantage of the MED?

Listed below are four ways I've been putting the MED to good use this school year.

Outcome I want: An Animoto movie of my students so parents can see our room and their children. 
How I used to go about this: Take a photo each morning of the date. Take 5-6 photos of each class period each day. After two weeks, download the photos that Friday after school, put them in the Animoto, upload the embedded video into our two-week update blog post (kept here), then email all the parents the update.
How I've realized the MED: No need for a photo of the date. No need for it to be 5-6 photos of each class each day. No need to take photos every day! Now, I take photos on certain days, and then I'm fully present the other days. This way, I can be more sure I'm catching each child and activity, yet I don't need a gazillion photos to prove anything to parents. I also don't need to wrap it all up nicely on a Friday afternoon. Who says every two weeks has to be Monday through Friday? I had put those parameters on myself; I'm now taking them off.

Outcome I want: Easy-to-follow directions for students projected through a slideshow. 
How I used to go about this: Make sure every single direction was visible on the slideshow. Put a cute photo with it. Use circles and arrows for clarity.
How I've realized the MED: No need for exact directions. I can raise the screen and write on the board if I have to clarify something. No need to find a photo if I don't have the time.

Outcome I want: Check and answer school emails so my email inbox has nothing (hah!) in it. 
How I used to go about this: Look at my emails every day after dinner, and on the weekends.
How I've realized the MED: I only look at my emails when I arrive at school in the morning, again right before school begins, at team time third period, during my plan period, and before I head home. This chunking of time is very valuable. (I learned this from Angela Watson, and use it in the next tip, as well.) If I want to clear out an email yet don't yet know how to respond, I put it in an email file marked "to do." On my Toodledo list, I have "check to do file" for team time each day. Side note: I also only check my home emails once a day - first thing each morning.

Outcome I want: Stay up-to-date on social media. 
How I used to go about this: Check every account every day, multiple times a day. (I try to use Twitter for teachers, Facebook for friends and family, and Instagram for former students.)
How I've realized the MED: Check Twitter every morning. Check Instagram every other evening. Check Facebook every Saturday or Sunday. If I miss checking Facebook or Instagram, I'm fine. I know I don't have to see everything. Even though I still check my phone more than I should, I'm getting better.

Trying to use the MED has helped my mind and body. I'm not as strung out from doing "too much," and I'm calmer when something isn't perfect. Let me know if and when you try this, and how it's helped you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!