I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Screencasting Feedback

I'd written about using Explain Everything to provide feedback back in 2016. I then started using Screencast-O-Matic for most of my feedback, as we are now a 1:1 Chromebook school. I had in my notes this year to try Loom, a Chrome extension. (Thank you to whomever suggested it!) I'm a large proponent of FREE tools, so I'm going to share today how Loom compares to Screencast-O-Matic.

First, here's what Loom video feedback looks like. The only difference in looks is that it's the entire tab, and my photo/video is in the corner.

And here's how I add the link to the document students are working on - it's just like how I added the Screencast-O-Matic YouTube links:

Screencast-O-Matic
  • free (up to 15 min)
  • easy to find on my computer
  • can be used on both home and school MacBooks
  • can edit the name of the video
  • captures student writing and my mouse or highlights as I read it aloud and provide feedback
  • can share the video with a single link
  • can embed the video if you'd like
  • students can respond
Not the best: 
  • need to set the screen size
  • uploading to YouTube takes almost the same amount of time as recording the video
  • when I upload to YouTube, I need to make sure it says "unlisted," so only those with the link can view it (me, student, parent)
  • I need to go to and look up on YouTube who's viewed their feedback
Better than Loom:
  • can choose exactly what to screencast - can size it to where you want it
  • can see the timer


Loom
  • free trial of Pro, and there's also a free version (up to ?? min)
  • easy to find as a Chrome extension
  • can be used on both home and school MacBooks
  • can edit the name of the video
  • captures student writing and my mouse or highlights as I read it aloud and provide feedback
  • my picture is in the bottom left - I hear students take feedback more seriously when they can see you
  • captures student writing and my mouse or highlights as I read it aloud and provide feedback
  • can share the video with a single link
  • can embed the video if you'd like
  • students can respond (right in the video? I'm not sure yet)
Not the best: 
  • no embedded timer - I need to look at the clock or set a stopwatch
Better than Screencast-O-Matic:
  • no upload time - it's instantly ready
  • can simply hit "record current tab" instead of setting the screen size
  • I can be alerted when someone views it - if I choose to not be alerted by email, I can easily see in the extension who's viewed their video
  • fun reminders to smile pop up for a second when you open it (see examples here):

 

It wasn't until I'd completed my PRO trial, that I saw the limitations of the free version of Loom... Here are the full pricing details: www.loom.com/pricing

I currently have just under 70 students, so we need access to more than the last 25 videos.

The debate in my head was a quick one. I'm going for it. The time I save uploading the videos is worth the $96 in my opinion. Others will think differently, especially if they don't give video feedback on students' writing. Since my students value the video feedback (only four this year said they'd prefer the comments only on their documents), I'm going to stick with this for the long run. I think the personal touch and the instant uploading time is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!