I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Saturday, December 14, 2019

The Dreaded Check Engine Light

Three and a half hours into our six-hour trip pulling the camper trailer to Cedar Point, we were laughing and sharing thoughts and ideas. Hubby and I are great travel companions.

"The check engine light just came on."

Silence.

Why is it, when the check engine light comes on, we gasp or become worried, when it's supposed to HELP us? Bob (Hubby) has a more positive outlook about it. He says the check engine light is a sign of something we're going to need to take care of.


My "check engine" lights are as follows:
  • A headache is creeping down, and my neck has some nasty thick taut wires.
  • I snap at something my husband says.
  • I growl at something my students do (or don't do).
  • Yawns are happening in the morning's shower.
  • I'm dehydrated (checked by the level of my water bottle).
  • I snack (a lot) after dinner.
  • I cry. Sometimes for "no reason."
These signs show me I need to take better care of myself.
     My engine uses fuel to go.
     My check engine light shows me I'm low on fuel.
     My fuel is food, water, sleep, and peace in my mind.

When fuel is low... what do you do to fuel yourself?

The start of this school year had me teacher-tired to the max. Here's what I've done about it:
  • Gotten outside whenever I could. This might only mean putting the top down on the convertible - everybody would benefit from having a convertible, in my opinion - or it may mean taking one class outside for a lesson, to read, or simply for a break. It could also mean getting out for a walk or a bike ride. Even 10-20 minutes fills me a bit. Since it's in the 30s here now, it means walking outside, or sometimes even simply sitting outside (as my body is telling me I must be going to hibernate soon...)
  • Gone to bed earlier. I don't want this to be a habit, as I feel way past my 46 years when I head to sleep before nine... it worked for me in September. I'm now back to my 9pm bedtime.
  • Eaten better. I loaded up on vegetables when I should, and got plenty of water throughout my day, even if it meant I'd head to the bathroom between classes. When there were treats in the school office, I took one, and then I didn't take another for home or for my lunch the next day.
  • Stayed calm in school. When things weren't going well in class, I stopped. I breathed. I regrouped. I began again. I think the students caught my vibe, as well, and they, too, calmed down a bit. When the team of teachers was frustrated about something, I'd simply listen, and this kept my blood pressure steady.
  • Talked. I've talked with my husband. I've talked with my teacher friends. I've gotten support from them, because they seem to know what I'm going through.
Now that we're in the middle of our second term already, I find I need to remember these tips, as that "teacher tired" may sneak up on me soon once again before it's time for our winter break. Hence the reason for me sharing them with you now.

What are your tips when you're low on energy? What am I missing?

Thanks for sharing in the comments below, so all readers can learn from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!