I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Saturday, January 1, 2022

My One Word for 2022

In 2013, I caught the #OneWord bug, and I decided my word would be "GRATITUDE." I wrote about it here, and I've kept that word each year since then.

A lot has happened in the last two years, and I've learned a TON. Gratitude has been engrained in my practice of mental health. I don't feel the need to keep this word central in my life, as it IS a daily practice for me, and it is part of what I want to focus on more next year.

In 2022, I want to be more PRESENT. I want to live in each moment. 

I asked my Twitter PLN for suggestions for my one word, and I thought that writing about it would help me process better and choose a word I can work with. I'll start by collecting here what my educator peeps shared:





As I was reading the suggestions, I kept thinking: FOCUS. ATTENTION. LISTEN. OBSERVE. MINDFUL.

I want to do my best every day - even if I mess up. I want to slow down, take deep breaths, not be on a roller coaster of emotions, and be a better listener.  I want to stay off my phone, look at people when they're talking, not have to ask, "What?" because I was multitasking, not snack just because it's something to do... All of this comes into play if I can be present in each moment.

Now that I'm writing about it, thinking more about it, and talking with my husband about it (I love that he asks, "If you don't have one by midnight, will you turn into a pumpkin?"), here are other words I'm considering: Awareness. NOW. HERE. AQUÍ. (Aquí is "here" in Spanish, and it makes me think... it's the KEY to being present...)

Being able to be present in each moment, paying attention by observing details all around me (and what I'm doing) right here and now, aware of what's going on (and what I'm doing or how I'm reacting) right here and now, is truly a GIFT. It's a gift to myself, allowing me to be grateful for all I have and all I can be or do, also allowing me to stay off the emotional roller coaster, and it's a gift to those around me, as they'll be affected in a positive way if I'm at my best right here and now, listening and giving them my full attention.

If I play with that word, "GIFT" as one possible definition of "PRESENT," I can see the gifts in my mind: large and small, decorated, ribbons, bows, tags, and quiet. Thinking of it as an actual box waiting, I can see myself not talking as much, not spouting off on social media, not putting my foot in my mouth, not saying something I might regret later... I can also see it as something to give to others. My time, my focus, my energy - away from distractions such as my phone, towards learning more about them instead.

If I play with the word PRESENT as a verb, I immediately think of presenting in front of groups - like I did before 2020 came crashing down, and like I will starting again in February of 2022. (There's a "however" after this one, though...) However, I want to be sure presenting doesn't mean I'm not listening and learning. What the verb could mean is that I present a better me to those around me and to myself. I present a calmer me, a better friend me, a better listener me, a better teacher me, a better sister and wife me... I'm liking this word more and more.

----------- hours later ----------- in fact, the next day ------------  January 1, 2022

I'm sticking with "PRESENT." 

I'm going to do my best to be in the moment. Right here. Right now. I'm going to do so because it's the key to what I want for myself (and for others) - I hope to be a better listener, regret fewer things I say and do, soak up the good times, view the difficult times as more of an observer, focus better on one thing at a time, take more deep breaths, not have such an emotional ride of extremes, and live with more purpose in 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!