I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, February 3, 2022

"Every teacher I know feels like they're failing."

This line in an article in the Chicago Sun Times got to me.

So I decided to do something about it. I wanted to change the narrative in my own mind. I decided to look for where I feel I'm doing WELL at school. I suggest you try it next. Here's what I noticed in just one day...

  • Each morning, I get a song ready for the start of each class. Students can suggest songs, and if not, I'll share an upbeat song I love. When the song ends (sometimes after the bell), that's when we start class.
  • I have a beautiful plant I brought from home. Sometimes students absentmindedly touch the leaves.
  • I share what books I've just read, books I'm currently reading, and books I've just finished. Of course kids can read them.
  • I walk around the room in the morning, erasing pencil marks on the tables.
  • I put notes on the board wishing teams good luck for their games, matches, and activities such as the Spelling Bee.
  • I make small cards and hand them out to kids for special reasons (Spelling Bee, taking a big role when we read a script, being vulnerable when sharing writing...)
  • In homeroom, we share motivational videos or videos the students want to see.
  • My students can hang their work anywhere in the room, as long as it doesn't interfere with our view (of the screen, clock, etc.)
  • I greet each student by name at the door each class period.
  • The sign outside the room is not about me - it says, "Mrs. J. Kirr's Readers & Writers."
  • I try ideas I see on social media. This quarter, I tried "daily dedications." It's still a work in progress.
  • I post student writing for other students to read (if they choose) during independent reading time. I also post a way to provide feedback.
  • I post quotes I love from books I've loved.
  • I have a gazillion books (or so) I've shopped for and scrounged for.
  • I have a station where students can use staples, scratch and full paper, colored pencils, crayons, rulers, scissors, post-it notes, erasers, calculators...
  • I have a bag of feminine hygiene products the girls know about.
  • I get attendance right 99% of our days (after looking at three different tabs on the spreadsheet).
  • I check out books from my own library if the students need a book (like recently when our book club books still weren't in).
  • I read (and take notes or share summaries of) most of the books the students read for book clubs.
  • Let's face it. I read a TON of children's literature... and teaching books, too.
  • I have a sign out sheet instead of using passes. How can I not try to trust the students to make decisions on their own? If I notice their name is on the list a ton in one week, we have a discussion.
  • I write when the kids are writing.
  • I share my writing.
  • I do everything I'm asking students to do. I try the writing lessons ahead of time, so I know (and can share) where students might have trouble.
  • I take photos of our class and share in monthly email updates home to parents.
  • I take the notes I want my students to take.
  • I ask a question of the day to get the kids talking. It's a mix of "would you rather," open-ended, and multiple choice questions.
  • Our room is open between classes... I love the game my 8/9 block plays ("Tips"?) that gets kids from other classes coming in to play. As soon as the bell rings, my students put the ball away.
  • I make ribbon/magnet bookmarks for my students.
  • On Mondays, I set up a glasses-cleaning station ("Buena Vista Avenue") in the hallway.
  • I practice my Spanish on Duolingo every day (ask me about my streak! I know it will be above the 780 it is today!), so I can (someday) talk in some of my students' first language.
  • I give my students pencils when they need one.
  • We have a weekly "Thankful Thursday" time where we share our gratitude.
  • I tell my students "I love you."
  • I try to talk to my students about life outside of school - should they be willing.
  • I'm myself around my students. I'm vulnerable. I'm silly. I'm upset. I'm celebrating. I'm ME.
  • I smile under the mask.
  • I make TikToks and use SnapChat filters. They want me to add a neck tattoo to this one...


I'm a good teacher. So are you.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Joy, for listing all these things you are doing well. Carry on, my friend. You are making it. Congrats on that 800+ Duolingo day record. Well done. Maybe you would like to join the #MultiFri (Multilingual Friday bloggers). I'm sure you are really getting able to read and write well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiiiii, Denise! I'm not going to try to blog in Spanish... Thanks for the invite! I can't even blog regularly in English... Sometimes I try writing in Spanish during our writing time in ELA class, and then I show it to a student or a coworker to get their take, so I'm trying. ;) I need to figure out when to use what form of the verbs! That's my spring break project - to really dive in to see what I'm missing there. Keep it up, friend!

      Delete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!