I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Friday, June 7, 2024

A Mere Disappointment

...that I'm going to write about today.

I've been in my share of bike accidents.  I've been hit by a car while commuting home, and I've flipped over the handlebars while mountain biking...

In late August, 2022, on a beautiful day just strolling around the neighborhood, I fell off my bike. Hubby and I were on the sidewalk. I was looking down, rolled onto the grass for some reason, then tried to get back on the sidewalk (instead of braking and stepping off). Strong woman I am, I got up, then fainted (into my husband's arms), and after a rest, we walked our bikes home. I had lots of injuries we could see. These are from the next day: 

(Gross pics, I know... but now that I'm documenting it, I feel I can delete them from my phone.)
One injury showed up a week later when I had a stuffy nose... my left side (which still ached and I was still icing) somehow made my right side swell.
Sweet pic, huh? 😳
My right eye swelled up so much, the white was overtaking the blue... At the ER, we found out I had fractured my cheek bone and a nerve was "broken." I blamed the visor that had come off of my helmet when I fell. (Yes - of course I was wearing my helmet!) The ENT doc said there was nothing to be done. I just had to wait to see if it healed.

That same weekend, my partner-in-planning / teacher friend was in the ER - for the pain from her Trigeminal Neuralgia. This pain can be "suicide-inducing" says a website. She didn't come back to school due to the pain until after December 1 - a month and a half after surgery. So although I was going through my own disappointment due to my idiocy after years of bicycling (my pride was hurt because I'd been stupid), I could not complain. I was still at work, icing, hand wounds closing, bruises fading...

I'm writing today because I just finished this book:
 It's really got me thinking of soooo many things. I'll sum them up here.

The first is one of the last things she shared... "Disappointing things were not for the written word, disappointing things were for the stiff upper lip. Tragic things are for the written word, because in tragedy there is catharsis, not slow, incremental, almost invisible progress" (222). And I feel that the three bike accidents I've endured have been pretty traumatic, but this last one is one I had when I was 49... and it's taking me forever to heal. My right hand still doesn't always grip like it could, and the left side of my face still feels like it's coming out of being numbed at the dentist office. On headache days, like one I had when I checked out this book, it grows more pronounced, and I feel as if everyone can see the swelling on that side of my face in my crooked smile - they most likely cannot.

If I look CLOSELY, I can see I only have a slight asymmetry to my face - one side is swelled a teeny bit more, so that it actually looks like a deeper smile on my left side than on my right. My right side goes up more, but my left side looks chubbier, so my wrinkles/laugh lines are more pronounced. I don't have any reason to complain. The odd sensation is mine to live with, and it only bothers me when I've got a headache, or if I yell or sing too loudly. This year my left side - way more than my right - was affected by spring allergies. No biggie. And look at this - I'm writing and writing and writing... about something "disappointing," not tragic. Hmmm.

Other things I'd like to remember from this book:
  • We show more emotion on our left side.
  • "Portrait painters create life and interest in the face by creating asymmetry, rather than exact symmetry" (105). She explains that humans prefer symmetry, but our expressions tell more emotions in our asymmetry.
  • "The nerve grows a millimeter a day" (139). 
  • "You can always choose to smile, no matter what. It is always a choice to smile" (164) ~Lama Pema. The author shared this after she shared that many men tell women "smile for me," or "where's your smile?" if they're not smiling. It's like women need to submit to the man and show him she's comfortable with him. Um. No. We don't have to do that. I smile often without being "told" to anyway.
  • "...lucky the lines on all our faces. Lucky the laugh lines and the smile lines especially; they signify mobility, duration, and joy" (208). Yes. Yes. Yes. We are so fortunate in so many ways. I'm glad I've got "crow's feet." I'm glad I've experienced so much joy to have these lines on my face. I'm so lucky, and I'm so grateful each day.
  • She shares that she's "grown to love the syllables in the word maybe. Maybe healing is not linear. ... Maybe the long haul is longer than anticipated. Maybe a nap is in order. Maybe writing down your story helps. Maybe, outside your immediate field of vision, someone down the block is learning how to stand on one leg again..." (222). 
I'm documenting today, so that when I look back many years from now, I can see how much I've grown in my thoughts, and I can see if there's progress in the sensation in the left side of my face (I was never that fond of in the first place)... Isn't it a shame that our society puts so much emphasis on looks? Who decided certain faces were more "beautiful" than other faces? We perpetuate this in our social media posts, in our words when we compare or describe others. Hearing certain seventh grader boys call a seventh grade girl "ugly" hurts to my core. Those poor girls. They're beautiful - inside and out. Faces and hair... Many people of all ages are so vain due to what our society has deemed "pretty." And I'm not immune.

To those reading this: It doesn't matter what you look like. It matters what you DO. Do beautiful things: Be kind. Say kind things. Help others. Care for yourself. And write about WHATEVER - even mere disappointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!