I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

30-Day Challenge from The Antiracist Table

A place/site called the Antiracist Table offers a free 30-Day Challenge. (You can find more in this online binder I curate.) Sadly, I've had it on my list to do since 2020 (or 2021?), and now I'm not sad that I started and completed it this July. (There is a small fee if you want the 26-Day challenge instead - I didn't see the point. I chose July because it was my least busy month this summer.)

I waited so long because I must've been under the assumption that I had to do all the work for each day on that day. Nope. It's self-paced. The days are there to keep you coming back, and there's freedom to do the activities at your own pace.

There are meditations that I sometimes did and sometimes didn't do. And there are journal prompts that I lazily just did in my mind instead of writing them down. Things that I wanted to really stick in my mind I wrote in another journal I have from reading Me and White Supremacy.

Here's a recap, should you be thinking of joining...

Week 1 almost put me off the timeline they set, but I kept at it - probably because I enjoy reading nonfiction. There was a LOT of reading - history! Some I knew, some that was new to me - including a history of lynching (which I didn't know happened well past the end of slavery). A couple of videos were included - including one documentary about the 13th amendment.
Week 2 touched on white fragility and white silence. It also talked about feelings - there were quite a few references to Brené Brown's work.

Week 3 shared some things that people started doing in 2020 to help dismantle racist policies. It was here that I could see this challenge was created in the wake of the murder of George Floyd.


And Week 4 brought it all home... making sure the participants understand what we need to do to continue on our path to become more antiracist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!