I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, March 23, 2020

Day 10 - Spring Break

We don't always go somewhere for Spring Break. If we don't have plans, then we do day trips. We've gone to Starved Rock or Matthiessen State Park (and follow it up with a trip to Tangled Roots Brewery on the way home). We've gone to Holland, Michigan for a one-to-three-day jaunt. Our local parks and forest preserves are still open for now.

We're kind-of-sort-of more stuck than normal. Just like everyone else.
  • Yesterday, Hubby watched I-don't-know-how-many of the "Top 10" football games of last season.
  • Today, I started that free Yale class - The Science of Well-Being. Not bad so far.
  • Actually, I started with this in the snow that appeared overnight -
In case you can't read it, it says, "Hang in there."
  • Last night, I'd made a snow angel and sent it to tons of people. One was my principal. She sent me back a photo she tweeted the today that inspired this message.
  • I also tried "PE with Joe." Tough stuff that made me feel good!
  • I attended a webinar of sorts put on by friend/educator Kim Darche. She'll be sharing every week day!
  • I then tried to attend the Cincinnati Zoo Facebook thing - I was an hour late. I also don't know how to get on it.
  • Our village mayor is going to share a $2.8 million "surplus" with businesses and residents. Supposedly we'll be getting a $200 credit on our water bill. I am still getting paid. I will find $200 to give to the food bank if that actually happens. 
  • Our mayor is also waiving the business licensing fees. Bars and restaurants have been hit hard.
  • I went to our librarian's house to pick up Craig & Fred by Craig Grossi (Young Reader's edition). We're probably going to take turns reading it aloud with our students once school gets back online next week.
  • I got a book in the mail! I won Start with Joy: Designing Literacy Learning for Student Happiness by Katie Egan Cunningham from commenting on this blog post last month! Although I have a few other PD books on the pile, I dove into this one right away today.
  • I ordered a new battery for my iPhone 6s. It won't even last through a walk outside in the cold anymore. I also ordered Pay Attention, Carter Jones by Gary D. Schmidt to make the order over $25 and free shipping. I loved that one. Such a witty book that made me laugh and cry and write down myriad quotes!
  • Flights have about 10% of seats filled. Costs? --> $59 round trip from O'Hare to Boston.
  • Have I told you Disneyland (not sure about when Disneyworld closed) has been closed since 3/14? And LasVegas basically shut down last week. 
  • Cruise lines (who don't even fly under the United States flag) want help, even though they don't abide by U.S. laws and they don't pay U.S. taxes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!