I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Day 2 - Unprecedented Times

Rumor is it the U.S. is "eleven days behind Italy."

Places in Italy are quarantined. People are singing old songs from their balconies - to show compassion for each other. I think this is why Mom is scared. She doesn't want to be alone.

We went on errands today. Gasoline in the car ($2.07/gallon!), a stop for Bob, and then we went to my parents' house. They'd forgotten to take the steak home I gave Dad for his birthday, so we were dropping it off. Mom insists she's fine. She's not scared of contracting anything, and if she did, she knows she's "strong enough to fight it off." (She's "fought off worse" she reminded me.) When we got home, we went for a walk to Jewel to pick up yogurt, Dan Active (they only had Activia), and craisins. (We also picked up tortilla chips and shoestring potatoes...)

What did we notice?

There weren't a ton of cars on the roads.
It was easy for us to cross Arlington Heights road on foot.
There was still some food in Jewel.
It wasn't really crowded (~4pm).
People were calm.
People said "excuse me" and "thank you."

Today, Governor Pritzker said all bars and restaurants need to close for dining in. They can still do the drive-through, carry-out, and delivery.

This economy is going to take a BIG hit.

The feeling in my gut is that this is going to last a month. A solid month.

I found this poem (Twitter? Facebook?) - Pandemic

Bob and I are in semi-self-quarantine. I'll head into work tomorrow morning, and then I think we'll only go on walks and drives... not to anywhere in particular, and not to be around anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I've heard about Italy and the connection with the U.S.'s trajectory. Sometimes I even see lines going steeper than theirs. Too many variables to be sure, aren't there?

    But your semi-self-quarantine is a good place to start for the health of the world, as Lynn's poem says:
    "Promise this world your love–
    for better or for worse,
    in sickness and in health,
    so long as we all shall live."

    Blessings to you, Joy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!