I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, March 30, 2020

Day 17 - Silver Lining

Monday, March 30, 2020

Today's the last day of our district-led e-learning. Tomorrow it's back in teachers' hands! I'm so happy the district had activities ready to go, and I'm also so happy we get to be leading the charge starting tomorrow. Fingers crossed Schoology and all the links they need to be on work!

What was reinforced in my life today...
- Zoom (in my opinion) is better than Google Meets/Hangout/whatever-it's-called-now
- Administration and educators are still figuring all this out.
- Don't ask Hubby to walk longer if his knee is "barking."
- Sunshine during the day is one of my keys to happiness. How can I keep this feeling on days that are dreary?

I had a call from a retired friend last night. I was too tired to share much with her, so I was a better listener. She wishes she was one of those parents at home with her children. Her children are grown and her son is an EMT. She is having a hard time not hugging them. It helped ME to tell her that RIGHT NOW everyone is good. RIGHT NOW everyone she knows is healthy and safe.

I kind of felt like I was working a bit today... I had three virtual meetings! One with my team, one with the ELA department, and one with my ELA counterparts! It's refreshing to get back to trying to do what's best for my kids. (Yes - I do feel as if they're my kids. And I miss them so!)

Today I want to share about a hashtag I spotted - #coronalockdownsilverlining - from Andrew Bendelow. I needed it in my life, as I'm kept up to date with sad things, and I'd like to keep a focus on the things that bring me joy. Like videos such as this that my school shared on the virtual morning announcements.

So... I started a list last night of all the silver linings that staying at home provides for me. I think I've shared a couple on previous blogs. I wanted to share the hashtag with you in case YOU feel like sharing YOURS. (Comments are always welcomed, too, of course!) Share your joy with others!

Here's one from me today - it's a big one...

We get out and walk EVERY day now. Rain or shine.

Update: Day 54, May 6, 2020 - Here's a great blog post from Mandy Froehlich - How Does Gratitude Improve Your Mental Health?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!