I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day 5 - Updates Keep Coming

I spotted this yesterday...
I reached out on Twitter, then shut down any technology for the rest of the night. When I woke, the idea I shared yesterday was proven true. I wonder why she didn't say "closed indefinitely" or "until further notice"? So many educators reached out. We may be isolated, but are NOT alone.

I followed the story to what one of the districts said to families. I'm still in shock. My angst is for those kids who need structure in their home lives. Those for whom school is a safe place with routine.

Thirty-two states have closed schools for at least two weeks.
SAT tests are cancelled.
Universities are shutting down for the rest of the year - their dorms, too.
Illinois shut down restaurants Monday. Some states are waiting until tomorrow.

Latest update for our kiddos? We got the letter today saying the district decided to cancel our outdoor education (three days and two nights) trip to Lorado Taft in Oregon, IL for the seventh graders. This will be the first year I don't go since I started at this school in 2002. I get it. I'm not heartbroken. I'm still just kind of stunned.

Bob and I have this plan for when we die (not really morbid - hang in there with me if you're actually reading these blog posts)...  We like to sit out on the back deck he built. We imagine sometimes a meteor hitting Earth. When it gets close, we'll head out to the back deck and hold each other until we're engulfed. We've been thinking that this time is hard to describe - is it like 9/11? Kind of... fewer planes than normal, people being nice to each other... But what else is it like? We figured it out... we know the meteor is coming. Whatever form it may take. We'll face it together. That's what it feels like. I'm not saying it's Doomsday, I'm just saying that we are in a waiting game, and we're waiting together. According to CNBC, we need to have a 30-day shutdown.

I saw an educator tweet this out yesterday:
I'm in an out of anxiety in waves. 
We're riding the waves. I'm in and out of "surreal-ness." What will my actions show students who follow me? How much emotion do I show? I'm excited to start receiving responses via Flipgrid soon (I hope). I've gotten two so far, in two days. I also got a document with one student's writing shared with me today! That's progress, I suppose.

What's good? My husband and I will grow closer (if that's even possible). I've been able to get hugs at any time of the day. We're both healthy enough to walk every day and to get on our bikes when the weather is nicer. Our extended families are good. I need the students more than they need me.

1 comment:

  1. I keep thinking of the children too. And the over-stressed parents, some of them medical workers, who also come home and help their children do "school." This is emergency learning, and there are many kinds of emergencies going on. God keep us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!