I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Saturday, June 6, 2020

2019-2020 Digital Scrapbook

For Days 85 & 86 of quarantine, I'm bringing up a draft post that I save throughout the year to remember what I've done regarding "extra" teaching or professional development opportunities...

Because my heart is so heavy from the events of this past week and the wondering of the future of my students, I'll be returning to blogging at my other "genius hour" blog about race once again. 

I've decided to lay off the presenting this year (it's way more stress for me than teaching), AND we kind of stopped seeing people in "the real world," so this year's "scrapbook" is a bit sparse compared to some years!

JUNE
- Video conference with Michael Tromblee's (@mtromblee1) educators regarding Shift This
- USMSpark conference - hosted a healthy grading session and was able to learn from so very many!
Here's Sean Scanlon's post about the connections made, and a photo taken that day:

- USQ conference - Keynoted with my niece and nephew! Oh, how over-the-moon proud I am of these two learners and leaders!

JULY
- #BLC19 - My last year heading Boston to present - it's good and sad at the same time... We've decided to do more of our own vacations, instead of having someone else dictate where we go during the summer. If anyone has a conference out west that you'd like to waive the conference fee and hotel for, we're available! My favorite part of this one? Getting to see Carrie Baughcum do her thing.
- WORD SHIFT was published!! I'm fortunate enough to have the time to write and the publisher who'll trust in me.

October
- Staying true to taking better care of myself and not making my weekends about work, I accepted an invitation to walk with a good friend / coworker of mine in the JDRF One Walk this year. Turns out there were LOTS of people there who know someone with JDRF T1 - so glad it was well supported!
Kim Miklusak
Karen Field








- We read Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds (aloud) again in class, and one of my students wanted to share something with the author. And he RESPONDED!! 💕


November
- Half-day Edcamp at Carmel Catholic H.S. My takeaway? Why do we still have days set aside parent/teacher conferences if we're being more transparent and have better communication than ever? Bonus - there were five other educators there from my district!
- My district sent me to learn from Penny Kittle & Kelly Gallagher in Hoffman Estates! It was so reinvigorating AND I got my books signed!
- IETC in Springfield, IL - I was able to hear a great discussion in my Healthy Grading session, help others create gratitude stars, share my passion for personalized learning with a small group, and speak during lunch, between Michael Matera and new lost sister in my life Julie Nilsson Smith! I'm so grateful to friend and conference organizer Kim Darche for helping me get down to Springfield to share some things I've learned, and thank you to Lindsay Zilly for the sketchnote!
 

 
        



February
- EdCampMadWi! EdCamp Madison is always a hit. It seems like it's been a very long time since I've been to an edcamp! I had a few people at my "gratitude writing" session, and at lunch we brainstormed a new session for next time - "Boomers Unite!" Bonus - Bob hung out with us afterwards, and we stayed the night before heading home. We did miss Aggie this year, though.
 
March
- Our ELA teachers got to have PD on Readers/Writers Workshop for two days. It was such valuable  and needed professional development.
- EdCamp Elmbrook! It was good to connect... and no, I wasn't going to bring up the "Boomers Unite" session when we had so many other topics that were way more important.
- School closed at the end of the day - Friday, March 13. Life as we knew it changed.

April
- We purchased house plants! Four - ZZ, Umbrella, Peace Lily, and Prince Orange Philodendron

May
- Through all this crud, I found time to share about Genius Hour!
- And then again on May 16th! 
Click HERE for my session on Genius Hour
Because really... it's so very true...
June
- And then ONE MORE TIME on June 3rd through an "Open Mic" at Teachers Connect - with Trevor Rawlings and Denise Krebs! I love the fact that it was Trevor's first time presenting.
- Last Day of School 8th grade reverse parade... This might be a new trend...

The first student who came through the parade walked with his mom, because they were early. They left their car and walked around the lot. I teared up because I now see him as having a fragile future. He is half Black and half Japanese. I then wondered about every child in our parade who might not have a long future due to systemic racism, depression, or... I need to get back with the kids already. At least there I feel I can DO something positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!