I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Day 102 - DOING Something

Day 102, Tuesday, June 23 2020

My parents came by today. They came to give Bob and I a golf-type game for our anniversary! Very nice. We talked about the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and it got "spirited" as Bob said.  We're in different places. We've read and seen different things in our lives. It's very difficult to have conversations that aren't "spirited."

I do feel like I'm DOING something now, however. The librarian at one of our elementary schools in our district and I are going to facilitate a book study!! We've decided on So You Want to Talk about Race by Ijeoma Oluo! I am so very excited! (My sparse notes for it are here.) Another teacher in our district decided to facilitate the How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi!

I am excited to lift the voice Ijeoma Oluo through her book. I'm so fortunate to work in a district that provides so many opportunities to learn and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!