I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Friday, June 5, 2020

Day 84 - Another Last Day

Friday, June 5 2020

We visited two young ladies to present the Citizenship Award... I was fortunate to have this one in my homeroom:

And the rest of the afternoon...

I guess instead of a couple of hours in the sun for our yearbook signing / lunch with 7th grade, we stood in the sun for a couple of hours cheering on our 8th graders. (I modified the sign we had in our yard from the PTA... just changed "staff" to "students" and covered "miss" with "love.")


This was amazing --> One of my former students walked the parade with his mom - he was the first student to show. He was one of my favorites last year, so I made a big deal when he walked by. His mom gave me one of the bags she had with her. It was so touching. I cherish the work she put into each gift she gave. She even gave us washing instructions and wrote in the letter that we could ask her for more!

It was good to see the kids. It was hot, for sure, but it was worth it to see the kids. So many shades of color, and maybe all five (?) sexes were represented - and definitely loved by their teachers from the past three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!