I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Day 88 - Triangle Perspective

Day 88 - June 9 2020

In February of this year, I read The Courage to Be Happy... by Ichiro Kishimi & Fumitake Koga. I read it because my library did not have The Courage to Be Disliked, which a Twitter teacher friend had recommended. I figured I could learn something anyway. It turns out that this one was the sequel to the first book, and it was explained enough in the beginning for me to catch on pretty easily.

I took a few notes while driving (I listened to this one on CDs from my library), and one note in particular stands out to me today.

The philosopher talked about a triangle. On each side of the triangle, there were phrases that represented people's perspectives when they came to him...

He realized this and decided to ask those who came to visit -
     Which one would YOU rather talk about?

Since yesterday was my first "official" last day and summer can start today, I'm focusing on what I can DO from here. If you're a faithful reader, you won't see as many posts here, you MAY see more posts here, you'll see less of me on Twitter (I've found it challenging to talk about race with fellow White educators), you MAY see more of me on Instagram (my students reside there), you'll find me reading more fiction for rest and more nonfiction for action, and I'll be taking care of myself more. All of these shifts in what I'm going to do this summer may actually help me DO more for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!