I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Day 82 - Genius Hour... Again?

Day 82 - Wednesday, June 3 2020

I was able to share about Genius Hour again today - on the Teachers Connect platform this time. I can't help but imagine... what if we had started Genius Hour AFTER George Floyd was killed?

I know my "genius hour" has now shifted to sharing resources on Instagram for my former students. Each day I will share a different resource from the Anti-Racist LiveBinder I curate. That has become my project that I'm picking up again... studying my own whiteness and learning more about what this nation has done to oppress Black humans. The last time I posted on my progress was in August of 2019, and then school took over my life. I know Black humans do not have a "pause" button on racial issues that Whites do.

IN school, I felt less afraid of having the tough conversations, and I believe students felt respected when I was able to make the time for them to ask questions, share stories, and listen to each other. We focused on listening without judgment, sharing our thoughts or ideas in a calm manner, not attacking each other but the issue at hand.

I really didn't feel up to sharing about Genius Hour today. However, the need for students to learn what they want to learn is so important. I know in my heart, that had we started Genius Hour after the protests began, that they'd want to learn more about them, and more about why this is happening. I wish with all my heart that they are doing so now. I hope my daily Instagram resources help them to do so. Today's was the fact that the movie Just Mercy is free on many platforms during this month of June.

This is America today. Day 82 of quarantine. Let's all learn more about the reasons behind this, so we can help alleviate the pain and fear:
I do not know the origin of this photo. Please let me know if you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!