I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Days 92 & 93 - Break

Saturday and Sunday, June 13 & 14, 2020

I'm going to stop writing/publishing these every day (weekends count as one day). I need to take a break for my mental health. Truth? I never thought we'd be quarantined this long. I'll still count the days, and I'll still share bits and pieces that I want to remember or document for posterity, but I won't be posting regularly. 

Because I do believe Black lives are in danger and thus Black Lives Matter, what I've been sharing on Twitter has turned people off. I'm okay if they leave me. No one's been mean or wicked in responding - in fact, hardly anyone has responded. That's made me feel alone in this fight on my end. I'm breaking - my mind is not strong, and my body is also weak these days. (Thank you for my ten or so "regular" readers - I wonder what YOU believe? You are quiet on your end. I can understand that.)

So, for now, with a day ahead of me where I'm supposed to celebrate my husband's 68th birthday with my family - who I believe do not think like me and will continue to support that person living in the White House - I've decided I need to take a break if I am going to continue to fight what what I believe is right. I thought I'd get to 100 days in, but why? It's just a number. I need to care more for people now than numbers.

I'm going to share the LiveBinder of resources once again that I created two years ago to support those who want to become Anti-Racist (there really is no such thing as "non-racist" - I get it now), and I'm going to read more books by BIPOC, more nonfiction and fictional stories, and try to become more knowledgeable in actions I can take to support those looked upon as less than human.

I'm also taking a break from Twitter, but I will continue my weekday Instagram stories - to try to help my former students educate themselves, so they can make their own decisions after learning a bit more each day. They are our hope for the future.

If you'd like to join me, please head to the Anti-Racist LiveBinder.
If you want to help me, please add more resources I need to add to this resource in the comments below.
https://tinyurl.com/AntiRacistLB

2 comments:

  1. Joy, thank you for speaking up. You are a leader, and people are feeling something in their "being turned off." May God turn them back on--to justice and equity.

    You know a big part of maintaining the status quo in a white supremacist society is "white silence." It's easy for white people to ignore the signs, the words, the challenges, the statistics, the deaths. They can go along and keep living their lives, pretending to be "not racist", but with their silence brings complicity to the 400+-year-old system.

    God bless your work! Keep speaking up. Happy birthday to Bob!
    ~Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again and again, Denise. I'm still reading and educating myself, hoping others don't see me as "silent," even though I am stepping back a bit. I do hope people - especially educators! - continue learning and challenging ideas they've grown up alongside (and invested in). It has helped me see so much more and be open to more ideas. It has also made me more sad and tired, and made me feel even more ignorant. That ignorance helps me continue on.

      Bob says thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!