I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Day 90 - A Get-Together

Thursday, June 11 2020

Heading into today, I'm not sure... I'm not sure of myself and my comfort (or lack thereof). I'm not sure of how the discussions will turn. I'm not sure of what to bring. I'm not sure of what I'll say or keep inside. I haven't had "social time" in awhile now, and I'm not sure of how I'll do. I'm heading to a teacher-friend's house to meet with her and another - to have a "socially-distant picnic" of sorts.
I've figured this out about myself while I'm staying at home...

----------

The weather was perfect in the front lawn, I brought my own food that I enjoyed, I didn't have to use the bathroom, and the discussion went in many directions. I think it was mostly negative, but we had some laughs in there. I did share that I've learned I don't love socializing. I made sure to share it because I didn't want to do this often. I thought I would feel guilt, but I actually feel proud. I'm proud I could state how I felt. I'm glad COVID has made me more aware that people have different needs. Yes, I should've known that before, and in a way I did, but now I can see it clearer. I look forward to learning even more.

----------

This was my favorite tweet I saw today:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joy, I can relate about the social activity. That is why I think I have so much more energy and creativity these days when I've been home. Socializing for me takes a lot of energy! I love that sign about treating racism like Covid-19. That's very good advice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!