I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Friday, June 19, 2020

Day 98 - How are you "acting"?

Friday, June 19 2020

I use Twitter for teaching, Instagram to keep up with my former students, and Facebook for family (and some friends and some teachers).

Family includes cousins from across the nation - I tried to count how many I have... it's nearly impossible. My dad comes from a family with nine children and my mom with six.

Anyway... I normally just "like" or "love" posts here and there. If I don't agree, I just don't click anywhere. No biggie. My sister posted a video the other day - she's been quiet on Facebook for a long time. What she posted was so NOT the issue (in my mind), so I replied with a reaction video to that video. I think we both agreed on two of the points. It doesn't matter. She's been quiet on there since she posted. One of my cousins, however, spoke up, wanting to know which way we "leaned," and how that affected our family conversations.

I replied back that I really never knew how closely race tied in with politics. She replied that even though she may be living in a bubble, she's been learning from her church and "I want Jesus and my surroundings to be the filter through which I see the world." She also added she's never made a decision about another person through anything but their words and actions. ...

I have trouble with conflict. I wanted so so so bad to say, "That's great. I'm glad that works for you," and be done with it. Instead, I replied, "I hope everyone is doing what works for them. I, personally, feel a need to act. I believe Jesus supports my actions to help those less fortunate than me."

I love the next line she replies with, because I, too, have wondered how some people are acting. She writes: 
...how are you "acting"?

I am a gabber. You get me going, and it's hard to get me to stop. This past school year, my goal for myself was to LISTEN more. To NOT boast or brag. To be HUMBLE. These are skills I'm working on. However, when she asked me how I'm "acting" using those quotes, I felt I had to respond, and it's time for me to share with my readers, as you may be wondering the very same thing:

--------------------
I love that question! 
  • I’ve been educating myself more on race and sharing my own learning / thoughts on one of my blogs since July of 2018 - http://passionpurposeproduct.blogspot.com/search/label/Being%20the%20Change
  • I read, read, read - diverse authors, genres and topics. I listen to podcasts and webinars about equity in education.
  • I read and then purchase classroom library books that cross many cultures and topics, and I share these books with my seventh graders. (I’ve learned a lot through the #DisruptTexts movement and by keeping up with new middle grade and young adult books that come out.)
  • When we’re in school, I make sure to make time for my students to discuss issues that come up. I am only a guide during these, and I try to provide for them a safe space and techniques for respectful discourse.
  • I curate a resource online for educators and others - tinyurl.com/AntiRacistLB
  • I share new resources i find through my Twitter account (which I use for teaching), and at times through Facebook (which really isn’t my favorite).
  • I share “stories” on Instagram for my former students regarding educating themselves and where they can find more information. (Due to being a teacher in a public school, I keep politics and religion out of it.)
  • I donate when I can - Greater Chicagoland Food Depository is where I’m focused now. Donors Choose for teachers in areas with more than half low-income families was where I donated to in 2019.
  • I’ve recently subscribed to “The Flip Side” to read how both the left and right share certain issues facing our nation.
  • I pray.

There is so much more I want to do:
  • I want to continue to curate lessons (with colleagues) for my students regarding how to read all types of media better. (Media literacy is something I need help with, too.)
  • I want to safely stand in protest of something I believe.
  • I want to do more research on candidates for our local elections, so I know if/when they voted for policies that directly or indirectly exclude others.
  • I want to contact my mayor and ask if our police officers have body cameras and if they undergo training about implicit bias.
  • I want to shed my implicit biases that make me hold my purse closer to my body when walking downtown or make me think - even if just for an instant! - that every teen with their pants hanging down or with their head in a hoodie is “looking for trouble.”
  • I want to be eloquent in how I share - meaning I need to educate myself - OH SO MUCH MORE!


Do you have resources for me that I can either read now or add to the resources I curate? I welcome any and all. I’m trying to soak up all I can, so that I can better serve the needs of my students.

--------------------

This goes for readers on here, as well. Please let me know what else I can do. Thank you.
tinyurl.com/AntiRacistLB 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!