I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Friday, May 8, 2020

Day 56 - Word Shifts

Friday, May 8, 2020

I used to provide students with a lot of feedback - in class and on video recordings while reading their work. My feedback has now shifted to writing notes on student assignments and emails to them and their parents.

In these "unprecedented times" - and always, really - I'm very careful with my word choice when emailing students, parents, and coworkers.

Here are three of the word shifts I've made in the past six weeks (since we held the reins of what assignments we'll be providing):
     Instead of...   keep track   Try...  check in
          Example:
          NOT: I'd like to keep track of the assignments you're completing.
          YES: I'd like to check in the assignments you're completing.
     Instead of...   before we got stuck at home   Try...  earlier in the year
     Instead of...   you need to   Try...   please consider
     Instead of...   sincerely       Try...   missing you

I know there are more, but I've stopped writing them down. I'm making them on the spot. What are some of the words you've shifted with your students - and maybe with your family?

I will say, that when I get back into a school building, I'm not going to tip toe around peers. I'm going to ask things that need to be asked, and say things that need to be said, if by not saying them things will get weird or confusing. I've always been honest at school (I haven't lied since 2009 - I used to be a good liar - terrible, I know!), and I've also been kind. I think, in order for me to continue being kind, I need to not tiptoe around certain subjects. I'm just going to ask other teachers to hash it out with me. Just tell me what you're thinking, so we can work together as professionals in the best interest of our students.

More word shifts to read, if you'd like:
  • Jen Roberts blogged here on the shift from "synchronous" and "asynchronous" to "real time" and "flex time."
  • Erik Palmer blogged here about not saying "remote learning" but instead "remote assigning." If this weren't crisis learning, I'm sure we'd be doing things much differently
  • Monte Syrie blogged here to share about moving from "if" to "when."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!