I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, May 25, 2020

Day 73 - Memorial Day

Monday, Memorial Day, May 25, 2020

It's Memorial Day, and we've got all day to think of those men and women who gave their lives in the service. We also think of others who've gone before us. It was a good day of stories at home with Bob. We re-lived many stories of those gone before us.

This NYT piece tells of some of the loss this world has endured - due to COVID19.

It's been a long time now. We're in Week Eleven.  The yellow tape on the playgrounds is fading.

It's been a long time. Today I thought about our future a bit. I will allow myself a few days to think and write about my thoughts about the future, and then I'll relax for the summer. Today I wondered for how long will our kids be out of school, and really out of practice of socialization skills? We all need practice socializing, and Zoom ain't gonna cut it. But how can we go back to school?

It's going to be a long time until things get back to what used to be considered "normal."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!