I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Friday, May 29, 2020

Day 77 - Lesson Learned

Friday, May 29, 2020

It wasn't like any "last day" I've ever had at school. Well, yes, there was crying, but for different reasons... I think. Maybe it's the same reason... I cry when they're sad. They were definitely sad today.

My first class meeting that started at 11:00 had the fewest attendees. At the end, one quietly asked, "Mrs. Kirr, are we going to go back to school next year?"

I almost lost it right then. (I mean, how dramatic am I, right?!)

Instead, I calmly said, "I really don't know... Your parents got an email today saying that the district will be preparing for three different scenarios. All of us back at school, a mixture of a bit at school and a bit at home, or all at home." The looks on their faces. That's what broke the tears over the threshold. I let them know I've loved their tough questions, and I encouraged them to keep having the tough conversations.
     The movie for that class...

During my second class meeting at 11:30, one student was monopolizing the time. This student also asked / stated, "Doesn't this prove that school work can be done in two and a half hours?"

Since this one didn't do the work for the last three weeks, I responded with, "I think school WORK can be done in two and a half hours. How long did yours take YOU?" I just got a smirk in return.
     The movie for this class...

----------
My ramblings that led to my lesson for this crazy messed up 2019-2020 school year:

My last class is the one in which we had the deepest, most important (in my mind) discussions while IN school. We also got to go outside more than the other two classes! This was the class that I told this year they'd be my favorite. We have a teacher at our school - Mrs. Kathy Stutzman - who was my keyboarding teacher when I was in high school! Her class was in my room after my last block (I had 8 & 9, and she had 10th in that room). She'd seen my frustrations and how that class would get on my nerves. She knew I had fewer nerves to begin with at the end of the day, too. She told me a story. When she realized that her last class would be her hardest every year, she decided to tell them at the start of the next year that they were going to be her FAVORITE CLASS.

I had my doubts, but I knew it couldn't hurt. Also, I had reasons it would be the best class of my day... 1) It was at the end of the day, so I knew better how the lesson should go and what I can cut. 2) We could go outside on the days it was nice!  3) We'd usually have more time (due to what I could cut), so we could chat about what THEY wanted to chat about.

I think the prophecy came true, Mrs. Stutzman. You've taught me once again, for my 25th year of teaching. I will be forever grateful. I know more about the children in this class than any other, and I believe we ALL had a solid relationship. This class was brutally honest with each other, AND they had each others' backs. I believe each one of them grew socially. This was my biggest attendance today at noon.
     The movie for my favorite 8/9 block EVER...

The reason the tears came today... is because my seventh graders (now 8th) are still only twelve or thirteen. They have so much innocence, even through the veil of maturity. Many of them rely on a school building for their social life. They're going to miss each other more than anyone they've missed in a long time. I'm going to believe it was due to the expectations I set out for them from the start.

I'm aware that many schools, or better yet, the way we "do school," has to change. It has to become more relevant to the children. It has to stop being about memorization. It has to be a collaborative effort. I believe, as well, that it has to be together - in person. Our children of all ages need socialization. Our children of all ages need to ask and be able to discuss complicated issues. Our children of all ages need to share supplies. Our children of all ages need to move around. Zoom (or Google Meets or whatever you're using) cannot replace in-person communication. This will NOT be the way of the future.

Me trying a virtual background today...

Total side note: 
Maybe it's time for middle schools and high schools to start later in the day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!