I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Days 78 & 79 - The Kids Are Upset

Saturday & Sunday, May 30 & 31

First, let me just admit that time is of no use to me anymore. I have no clue what day or time it is, and only one thing per day keeps me grounded. I have to have one thing on my calendar each day. That's the only way I know where I am in time.

Second, our nation is in an uproar again. I am embarrassed to be in the category of "White people." I am a privileged spoiled suburban White woman who is not in debt. What am I doing about it? Well, I found a list of things I can do, and I'll sit down with Hubby and we'll figure out which one comes first.

I'll keep sharing via Twitter, even if I share "wrongly" and am berated for it. I will keep trying. This is a fairly new fight for me, and I don't know what I'm doing. Sadly, my White Fragility is real.

I'll continue finding books that my students should be reading, and I'll continue reading those books and adult books that help me see how deep this issue is.

My former students are sharing a TON on Instagram stories. Photos such as these, and many more. One that's hit me strong is the one of Colin Kaepernick kneeling. Remember how mad Trump as at that?? And people wonder why some are resorting to rioting. My weekday messages are going to revolve around how to be anti-racist. I know I'll make mistakes, but I know some of my words will steer some young people in the right direction.
 


----------

In the meantime, neighborhoods around here seem to think it's okay to come out now. It's okay to get together with friends for a walk or ride or picnic... I had a dream that Mom and I hugged. That will still do for now. I feel a need to be even MORE cautious now.

I wonder... does opening in stages include these two guys at the park?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Joy, thank you so much for speaking up. For being a role model for me too. You start doing. I need to do more. I was lost for the past hour in the links in this post, watching your Monday update, and now I'm going to get lost a while in your new LiveBinder.

    I love how you preface your post with the fact that you'll probably make mistakes. Yes, we will. Thanks for going for it anyway. White silence is one of the insidious aspects of white supremacy. Thanks for breaking the silence for so many people.

    Love you,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!