I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Days 71 & 72 - I Miss the Kids Like Crazy

Saturday and Sunday, May 23 & 24, 2020

I'm totally stealing the title "I Miss the Kids Like Crazy" from Dan Kerr... because it's true for so many educators.

This weekend I worked on end-of-year videos for my classes. I was so fortunate that I had so many saved with Animoto from my two-week parent updates, and I'm so fortunate I could work WeVideo thanks to help from our tech teachers. (And really, I'm glad my iMovie application was out-of-date so I couldn't use it!) I'm sooooo grateful I could look back on the photos and smile. I was able to quickly record an introduction - saying my final thank you to my students.

https://www.wevideo.com/

When I finished one, I decided to watch it (obviously) to see if it worked.

Tears came, and I let them.

I miss their laughter. I miss their silliness. I miss their drama. I miss their stories. I miss their questions. I miss their sighs. I miss their resistance. I miss their participation.

Watching one of the videos included IN the video of photos, I was missing what we might not have next school year (if rumors are true).

I'll be missing no masks, partitions, reading classroom books, over-the-shoulder feedback, book clubs, sharing supplies, the student station, even grammar on the board... the KIDS leading in many ways. I still want to be the facilitator. I need to find out ways I can have student-led activities next year should we teach remotely or even in class with all the restrictions put in place.

Today, however, I decided to not think about next school year. I still have one week left to miss these students. Oh, how I hope they join me on Friday for our last Zoom meeting where I can share the video I made live. I want to see their faces watching the video. I want to hear their giggles and whatever they have to say after the video. I won't want to hang up the call.

2 comments:

  1. Joy, what a great idea. I hope they all come and enjoy! Will you be able to share them with those who can't make it?

    Great job! Your whole blog truly is always about you learning something new and sharing it with the world--your own genius hour!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise - YES! The videos will be shared with everyone right after the Zoom session, no doubt. I'll also put them on our classroom blog. And YES! My focus for this blog is what I'm learning or have learned... even though sometimes I detour. ;) I didn't think this documenting would be going on so long... that tag/label is going to be LARGE. Eeek!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!