I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Days 57 & 58 - Mothers & Motivation

Saturday & Sunday, May 9 & 10, 2020

My family celebrated Mother's Day on Saturday, as it was going to be a much nicer day out than today. It was proven true. Mom said she had a wonderful day and wouldn't change a thing. Bob and I brought some music, chairs, a cooler, cupcakes and gifts. My sister brought her family and bought the pizza. It was solid. The weather was perfect until about 6pm when the sun didn't bring the heat anymore.

Once again, I didn't hug anyone. I noticed that neither did my brother in law. My nephew almost didn't, but Mom encouraged him to, so he held his breath. I don't know when I'll feel as if Mom and Dad and Bob are safe enough for me to hug Mom and Dad again. This, however, is the worst of my worries and troubles.

We got a letter from our village about how they credited our water bill account by $200, and how we won't have to pay them back because they have the money. This could be two to three months of water service for many of us. Since I feel guilty about it (I'm still being paid), I'm going to donate that money.

I was able to put in many hours (four??) in writing to my former 7th graders who are now Seniors (for my genius hour project). It was kind of fun, but my hand hurts a bit and my nice light blue pen ran out of ink. I'm a teeny bit less than half-way done writing the messages inside the cards.

My motivation is L-O-W today. I'm not sad. I'm not crabby. I'm just... here. I listened a bit to my book on Libro.FM, I played a couple of games on my phone, and I looked up Seniors in my old yearbook and on Instagram to see where they were going to college (if they shared). I found out that one of them had a child, and one of them only went part time to their high school. It was fun looking through their pics and seeing how they've grown so much already. I'm excited for their futures!

It's 1:30. I've not nothing more to write and nothing more planned for the day. Sometimes during this COVID "normal," that's all there is. I get it. I get it when the kids say they're bored. Tomorrow I won't be bored. I'll find more to do. It's a decision I'm making today. Heck, we're eight weeks in. It's okay to feel this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!