I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Days 64 & 65 - More Documentation

Saturday & Sunday, May 16 & 17, 2020

It's time for me to update my future self on what's going on these days...

The hummingbird visited the feeder this morning at 6:10am! (I put out the feeder on May 1.)

A restaurant in Amsterdam made tiny greenhouses for their patrons.

A restaurant in Virginia is said to open with mannequins to enforce social distancing.

Students around the nation are graduating - virtually. Our eighth graders graduate June 5th, so stay tuned for news about that endeavor.

Bob wants to go to Starbucks tomorrow to get his coffee. I really don't. But if a cake-pop comes with it, I'll reconsider.
Bob:[Your teacher friend] got you one just a couple of weeks ago!
Me: A couple of weeks ago? NINE. NINE. Since when is "NINE" a "couple?"

This is what ordering tacos looks like in southern California - thanks to Sean Ziebarth.

I'm still collecting numbers/statistics each morning. I added new information today about the population, so I the numbers across IL and MI were more comparable.

JC Penny filed for bankruptcy, but they're still functioning right now.

Bob and I saw two frogs in the retention pond alongside Salt Creek. They were soooo loud!

I'm going to have to re-evaluate my dislike for red-winged blackbirds. Today we saw and heard a close one that had beautiful red on it. And it HAS been over ten years since they attacked me on the path in Lake in the Hills...

I was putting off work. I had maybe an hour or an hour and a half of reading and commenting and sending short Loom videos. Bob said, "C'mon! Crack that straw and end strong!" in reference to our message/straw from the Superintendent yesterday (or the day before). So I got off my butt and got to work. I heard Bob's voice (to my nephew) in my head: Now's the time to make good habits. And THEN I saw this in my photo feed (from Instagram a couple of days ago):
And I gave those kids my BEST comments YET. I made tons of tiny videos for them, and sent them off via Schoology. I felt like a teacher again.

It's really rainy outside, and Bob's a little worried about flooding - he says it's next on his list of natural disaster fears (behind tornados).

I "rode" the Frozen Ever After river ride at Disneyland...

We get to watch LIVE golf today! (I write that, and I can just SMELL my privilege.)

It was interesting to hear how they're dealing with precautions.
- No spectators.
- They walked.

- They carried their own bag.

- Only one person was in charge of the flags.
- The flag looked like this... the ball would go in and be able to be popped out easily with a club.
- Only one person was in charge of the rake.
- They had on Bill Murray, and he was totally real and funny, with a crooked screen, on his first Skype call, while eating and betting on the game.
- Later they had Trump on, who of course knew many many good great players who were tremendous golfers...... if it hadn't been for those people who didn't tell us about the virus....... I almost barfed in my mouth.
- I learned what a skin is in golf. And my mom asked me not 2 hours later! And I was able to answer her!

My teacher friend and I started on our weekly challenges...

It's surreal. Sometimes I can't believe we're in a pandemic. Then I listen to the radio or watch television or go outside or go for a drive....... signs that it's a pandemic are ALL around.

My therapy today was watercolors... cards to friends and coworkers. I did seven today while watching/not watching golf. I also set up the next "lunch bunch" Zoom meeting. I miss those girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!