I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Day 62 - Ramblings

Thursday, May 14, 2020

I woke up thinking about praise and how it affects me. Last night I read about half an hour before heading to bed. Hubby said, "Nice job reading tonight." He meant, "Nice job not being on the computer or phone tonight." I haven't been reading like I thought I would during this time. Like I used to. Like I love to do. When I woke and thought of his praise, I wanted to read. I wonder how the praise we typically provide students during a typical school day affects them. I wonder how the lack of that amount now affects them.

Our advisory activity this week was to interview a friend. We had questions to ask regarding their favorite activities during quarantine and their goals. My good coworker and I shared our answers (to share with the kids), and later I asked some of these questions to another friend. It's a good activity, and I hope the kids get something out of it. The answers shared on FlipGrid so far look promising.

I recorded a ten-minute presentation on genius hour for #GlobalBrewEdIsolation happening all day (in the U.K.) on Saturday. It starts at 3:30 am our time. Ten minute sessions from so many educators ALL DAY!
Image

I don't know how people like @grahamandre pull all this stuff together!

I'm way more than half-way done with my cards for the graduating Seniors.... I'm so excited about it. I'm also excited to get back to card making once I'm done writing postcards to the seventh graders...

Hubby had his first Zoom chat today with an old friend in Detroit. I joined him, because his friend's wife joined him. She even dressed up for us! It was an hour and a half long, from noon - 1:30. Bob took a nap afterwards. He was thankful to me for helping him with the tech, and I'm pretty sure he was very happy with the whole thing, even if he didn't want to do it in the first place.
"It's not the same," he said.
His friend replied, "But it's what we've got." I think that helped him get over the hump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!