I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Day 20 - Where I Stood Today

Thursday, April 2, 2020

I fell into a sad abyss today.
For a bit.
I hear that's okay.
That's normal.
It would fade away as I got busy.
And then it would come back.
I kept telling myself to breathe.
I did breathe.
I talked with people.
I felt better.
And then it would come back.
I breathed some more.

I got out for a bike ride.
I felt free.
I felt good.
Just half an hour.
I stayed off of social media after that.
I stayed off my work email and the hundreds of open documents after that.

We went to visit my mom and dad.
In their backyard.
They stayed in the house today, but they'll be outside with us soon.
We had a drink together.
It's been almost a week since I did that.

I felt better.
And then it would come back.
I tried to name it.
       I'm missing my students.
       They're missing me.

I then realized... This is a GOOD thing.
This is a very good thing.
This is what we want.
We want teachers who would miss their kids
and kids who now miss their teachers.
It means we've made connections.
COVID 19 can't break those connections.

-----

We also went to Menards on the way to my parents' house. Today I want to share part of the "new normal" - there is tape on the floor of stores now, to show you where to stand in relation to the other shoppers. This cashier wore gloves and also used a baby wipe on the number key and screen of the credit card machine. In the grocery store last time, I heard over the intercom a message about staying two cart lengths away from other shoppers.
I guess here is where I stood today. Tomorrow is a new day.

1 comment:

  1. This is what we want.
    We want teachers who would miss their kids
    and kids who now miss their teachers.
    It means we've made connections.
    COVID 19 can't break those connections."

    This is some truth right there, Joy. COVID 19 won't win.
    Blessings,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!