I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Days 43 & 44 - Creating

Saturday and Sunday, April 25 & 26, 2020

Since my perspective has been altered and I'm constantly thinking of our healthcare workers who can NOT see their families, I've felt that this blog is so... unimportant. If you're reading this blog, you've seen the change from teacher-related posts to COVID-19 posts. I have to remind myself often that this is simply documentation of what this one privileged person is going through during these past six weeks...

I actually had fun this weekend.

First, on Friday (sure, we can consider that part of this weekend), a friend and I shared our "weekly challenges." She asked me last week if I'd like to try, and I was game - because she said we'd have to agree on it in order to do it. I agreed to three "minute-to-win-it" games, and my challenge was a photography challenge.

Since I'm not posting the videos of our "minute-to-win-it" challenges, I thought I'd post my photography challenge. We had to find ten different colors on walks, and then put them together.
From left to right: a hanger found in a parking lot, coral-colored tulips, a fire hydrant, a fox (in someone's lawn - my favorite photo), forsythias, dandelions, a tulip leaf, grass, water shut-off cap, and then three different flowers.

Friday we shared, and then we came up with two new challenges for this next week. My friend and her daughter challenged us to learn a dance, and I challenged us to make a face for a tree. What's beautiful about these challenges is that we have no idea how they'll turn out, and it's okay. We don't need to know! I'm a competitive person normally, but in the last six weeks, I've been able to let that go. I'm so glad - it's much more fun when it's not competitive!

I've also been trying to create watercolor flowers. I've made a couple of cards to send out, and added the flowers. Each card is different, and I'm trying different techniques. I'm glad I have some blank cards here!

I'm glad I'm finally creating.

On Saturday morning, Hubby and I delivered thirteen (?) yard signs for staff members at our school. It felt good to do something for someone else! It took us a good two and a half hours, and we got to see some of the recipients. I am very privileged to work where I do. I'm very proud of how our district is feeding the children, as well. Each Wednesday, they provide a week's worth of food for any children in the district who need it. THAT is to be commended.

We went shopping for Mom and Dad on Sunday and then sat in their back yard talking with them for an hour or two. Mom said it makes her day when we stop by. Our discussions aren't riveting, because there's not much new to say, but it's simply nice to connect.

There are green ribbons suddenly on the trees around our village. They signify our support for essential workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!