I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Day 34 - If I Were the Parent

Thursday, April 16, 2020

We're on a new schedule this week. Four classes a day, 30 minutes each, not to exceed three hours.
So we switched up the plans for yesterday. (It's similar to the information provided in Monte Syrie's latest post.)

Only 54% of my students responded to that assignment yesterday. This is my lowest percentage so far since we started learning from home. More of my seventh graders are becoming disengaged for some reason. I work in an affluent district, and I'm not (too) worried about my kids learning things during this time. I just wish they'd tell me to not worry about their child completing the work. I don't have my own children. If I were the parent...

If I were the parent, I might say, "You don't need to worry about work today. Just look at it on Friday, Sweetheart."

If I were the parent, I might say, "Let's get out of the house!" We'd ride to Michigan and try to look at the lake somewhere. Time would fly by, and we'd forget all about school work.

If I were the parent, I might say, "Do you want to put some sunshine on the sidewalk with chalk before the snow comes back?"

If I were the parent, I might say, "Let's read something random off the shelf. Better yet, let's have dictionary races!"

If I were the parent, I'd be disengaged.
If my children were happy, I'd leave them alone.
I'd let them simply BE.

Is it my job to worry like this over my kids?
I don't think it's healthy, and I need to find a remedy.
I have to trust that their parents know what's right for their child.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!