I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Monday, April 20, 2020

Day 38 - Heartbreak Maps

Monday, April 20, 2020

We're asking students to create heartbreak maps this week, so here is mine at this point in my life (meaning I wouldn't have these heartbreaks if it weren't for the pandemic)...

What I love... what I'm caring about at this moment...
  • Family
  • Students
  • Health
  • Seniors (in high school and college)
  • Healthcare Workers
  • Technology

And what breaks my heart about them...
  • Family - no hugs; nephew has a bike that's too small, but he wants to ride; they're all hoping for this to end and have no idea when it will; worry of them getting sick and me not being able to hug them because they don't live with me...
  • Students - no sports; no in-person friend time; Spring play canceled; no clubs; not knowing and hoping for this to end...
  • Health - we need to stay IN; constantly washing hands; wearing masks to the grocery store; worry and fear; many people are without a job due to the constraints; many people are in HUGE lines for food; the politics of this thing are making people angry with each other...
  • Seniors (in high school and college) - missing out on graduation, prom, sports, musicals, clubs, etc...
  • Healthcare Workers - work long hours; can't be with their family
  • Technology - students around the world without the Internet; many family members have to share their devices; who's got access and how is this equitable...

These are all worries, I know. Next step? What am I going to DO about it??

More resources for Heartbreak Maps -
     Learning to Give
     Aaron Maurer

2 comments:

  1. Joy, I like how you shared the label to posts labeled heartbreak maps on your blog. That was a great way to share. I read the first one and then continued with the earlier one. I have been being more careful in my use of labels--tags on my platform. I'll have to keep working on it because this was helpful.

    I was wondering if it was still possible to do this in our last three weeks, but maybe it would be too sad. What do you think? I had always intended to do it as a resource to help us get ready for genius hour, but that never happened! What a year it's been!

    Thanks, Joy!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Denise!!
      Tags/Labels are sooo important for me. This way I can find what I'm looking for and see how my thoughts have changed, or have them all in one place, etc. It drives me bonkers when I can't find a post I'm looking for.

      As for trying heartbreak maps into the last three weeks, I'm not sure. They did seem bummed out about it, but I think that's because they didn't know where it was going. We had asked them to write about what they love first - that was fine. I'd put the next two steps together - what breaks their heart about it and also what can they DO about those heartbreaks. That might be better.

      Delete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!