I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Day 46 - Kick in the Pants

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

I had a rhythm going today.

I woke up early, got ready early, was ready for our staff meeting, went out on the front porch rocking chair for the meeting (and was able to see the dew disappear, and two threads of silk from a spider), heard the goldfinches, made a couple more cards for the seniors.......

It's this - this new project - that was my kick in the pants. We're in week seven of this quarantine. It's time for me to get my act together. I was all ready to go the first two weeks, and then motivation ran dry quickly. All the changes in how we were supposed to teach really boggled my mind and hit my body something fierce.

Then we began talking about genius hour. My coworkers were on board, and we were excited about it. I created my heartbreak map, and I brainstormed what I could do for others, what I could do for myself,  what I would like to learn, what I would like to improve, and what I would do "if I had the time." I figured out my project. And I've already begun. I'm making cards for each Senior I had in ELA class or in homeroom.

I got to counting and cutting the paper. Folding. Deciding on the design. Getting started with five prototypes. Copying the "2020" for the front on the window pane...

I did a whole bunch yesterday, finalizing my idea. I felt like I had a purpose again. To really put me over the edge, a former student (now a Senior), sent me a graduation invite (only happening virtually) and a personal letter. I wanted to cry, and then I wanted to smile. I smiled and read it aloud to Bob. I called my mom and read it to her. I now feel like I have more of a purpose.

Today I did more of the non-thinking work (cutting, folding, tracing).
I am excited about my project.
I'm excited about it because it's what really fits me.

Brainstorming for Genius Hour is the toughest part for many children. It's always been tough for me, too. I have more to learn about brainstorming. I seem to pick projects that don't last two weeks. Not this time. This feels right. Although it will take some time, I can do it.

Of course I'll be documenting the process on my blog for my projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding to the conversation!