I, Joy Kirr, am a middle school teacher, author, and speaker. My 7th grade ELA (English Language Arts) classes are working to improve their lives through student-directed learning - without marks throughout the year. This is a log of my learning experiences... Want to have me speak with your staff or facilitate a workshop? Here is my PORTFOLIO.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 47 - Under 60%

I now provide lessons on Wednesdays and Fridays in this seventh week of quarantine.

For the last two Fridays, the days where we have three choices for our article of the week and no comprehension questions, I've gotten proof of 90% and 85% student participation.

For the last two Wednesdays, the days I think are the most intriguing lessons, the days with the video attached of me and Mrs. Field and Mr. Stott talking to students, I've gotten proof of 54% and 57% student participation.

Last Wednesday and this Wednesday and future Wednesdays will be focused on Genius Hour / Passion Projects / Independent Inquiry. THIS is where my passion lies. THIS is where I think the students will benefit the most. THIS is where we (students and teachers alike) will be challenged, have to adapt, and will feel failures and successes. I am having a difficult time seeing less than 60% engagement. I'll check today, tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday into next week to see who shared somehow that they thought of the work of brainstorming for their project today. I'll keep looking and keep providing feedback on their document.

It's not that I want them to want to do the work - it used to be that way, I suppose. I have tried to make the work relevant to what they'll need in the future, and I've tried to share with them our reasons for the work... I used to get more engagement than I'm getting now, obviously. What I realized today is that I want them to want to be in our class.

And maybe they do.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Joy. As in other ways and times, I find our paths are parallel. I am experiencing much the same here, friend. I think the kids want to be with us in class, and this for them,as for us, falls short of what we all want and what we all had. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding to the conversation!